Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
37 posts Page 1 of 4
See the little silver balls. I want to make this. I have tried and I am not doing a very bang up job. :oops:
Any Suggestions?????

~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi,
I'll search my Photoshop User mags. I believe that there was a bling article featured some time ago.

Otherwise, buy a bunch of fake bling and take photos of them. ;)
Kimi, do you have a larger image of these? Or another example somewhere? I would love to give it a try.
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Reka... it is from a scrap kit that is for sale at Scrap Artist. That is the best I could do with the image. :oops:

For some reason I now have this, I have to have it mode. I thought I should try to make them before I went out and spent $6. on the kit just for the little silver balls.

Do give it a try and let me know if you get anything?
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, had to see from the small size but I gave it a shot. Obviously not one of my strong points but had to try. :mrgreen: Needs more silver shine I think.

Added a transparent glow

Not showing on Pixentral as well as they do in Elements, yes I used Elements and not CS :o

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Hi Kimi,
The article, "Gimme the Bling!" by Corey Barker provides a tutorial on making diamonds. Dec 2007 issue of Photoshop User. Similar effect. And I swear, once this article was released, every scrapper designer was making them. Here is my try with just PSE....but I think to get the true effect for what you are looking for, my demo would need to go to CS2, which I will try later today.

Tell me if I'm close:

I started with a blank grey (727271) background layer. Took the marquee tool and made a round circle. Right clicked, and selected "layer via cut".
Go to BEVELS and select, "simple emboss".. copy that layer. open up your layer style and increase the size of the bevel to 250 pixels; I even added some stroke and drop shadows.

I then wanted to make it shiner, so duplicate the layer again and go to patterns and select "satin overlay". Increase the bevels again by moving the bar to the right.

I also played around with using the glass buttons layer effect, selecting translucent glass.

Here's a heart that I made for you using the glass buttons effect with bevels increased to 250 pixels.

Now, in the photoshop article utilizing CS2/3, once you have your shape cut out, you click on the Add a Layer Style icon and choose Pattern Overlay from the pop up menu. Click the Pattern thumbnail to open the Pattern picker. Choose the Satin pattern. Set the Blend mode to Hard Light, Opacity to 100% and Scale to 25%. Now choose the Inner glow and apply the the following settings:
STRUCTURE:
Blend Mode: Overlay
Opacity: 100%
Noise: 0
And adjust gradient...white on left to translucent to the right...
ELEMENTS:
Technique: Softer
Source: Edge
Choke: 0
Size: 25%
QUALITY:
Contour: Play with this one....to get the look you want (Corey used Ring-Double)
Range: 50%
Jitter: 0%

Finally activate the Bevel, Emboss, and Drop Shadow layer styles. He leaves these settings to default, but for a smooth finish, crank up the Bevels like I mentioned above.
Denise, that looks really similar to my second one but I didn't have the article. Here is what I did in PSE5:

Crtl N for blank doc 2x2 inch 300 ppi, transparent
Used a circle custom shape, ctrl T to fit area
Layer style>Elements Chrome, simplify layer
Added a new blank layer
Large soft brush at set to midtones at 55% exposure> burn tool to get black center, reduced opacity to liking
Merged layers
Layer Styles>Glass buttons>transparent glow

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Denise... I am in love with the heart!! Could definitely see that on a scrap page.

I will give your directions a try. Thanks!

If we come up with some cool things we can add them to the next newsletter. :mrgreen:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, this is what I came up with. It is a rough draft, but if you look at it smaller on a background, it looks okay.
sphere copy2.png
sphere copy2.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Hey Kim,
You posted as I was writing. I saw yours and said, boy they look a like. We've got to be on track....
I'm currently looking through my stash of bling to see if I have anything close so that I can try and duplicate it. I did take a look at Scrap Artist, and truely, I think the designers followed Corey's tutorial.... If all else fails, I'm getting out my camera :P Let's keep trying. This is fun!!

Kimi, I'm glad you like the heart. I thought it was pretty!!!
37 posts Page 1 of 4