Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
16 posts Page 1 of 2
I have hundreds of rubber stamps I want to make into brushes. I've made brushes in the past, so am not intimidated by that, but what has me puzzled is the organization of them. On my computer, it just looks like a mess, probably because I didn't do it right before, when adding new ones.

When I click on my brushes down arrow, a menu appears with all the collections listed. After the last one (wet brushes, I think), a solid line appears, then an identical list of the collections. However, when I click any of the collections in the 2nd list, I get a window that says: Could not load the brushes because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered.

I'm not concerned about accessing the brushes, because I can do so in the top list. But it just doesn't seem right to have them there. It's not tidy, and probably takes up memory!

I have copied the brushes I've added into a separate file on my computer, so they are "safe." Now I'm wondering if I can just reset the whole brushes area to the default. If so, how? I cannot find my PSE5 disk (I think DH threw it away with the packaging!), so I don't want to wreck things to the point where it has to be reloaded.

By the way, I am not a techie AT ALL! I need very basic language and instruction!

Thanks so much for any help.

Shar
Hi Shar and welcome :P

ahhh.... brushes. my favorite thing!

I too started out loading all of my brushes into my software. Then it got to the point that I couldn't find what I was looking for because I had too many. I now have a separate folder outside of Elements with a folder system inside.. Here are some of my folders:

signatures
curly or swirly
commercial
grunge
borders
spots
fairy
corners
texture
word art
stitching

well... you get the idea. It makes my life a whole lot easier. If you look on my blog, scroll down to the post titled brushes. I have directions on how to do this. This was a great help. When I purchased CS, all I had to do was find my folder and all of my brushes were right there.

As far as resetting your brushes to just the default ones. We will need help from someone else. ;)
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, thank you so much for your help. This will be of great use from now on (hoping someone will be able to help me clear up "my past"!!! LOL).

I think your work is spectacular. You mentioned Scrapper's Guide. I'm a member there too, so I will look for your gallery. I came into digi-scrapping sort of thru a back door--lots of paper arts, including card-making. I too, am not a great fan of much that is traditional. I'm more of the "clean and simple except when you can add grunge or hint at a pattern" school. Not into plastering on ribbons and buttons. I want the photo to be the star, and would rather show it on a plain black background than put an extra froo-froo on the page. I love the paper and frame you offered, and have already downloaded them. I'm getting picky about the freebies I download these days. I've realized that most of them aren't worth the time it takes to go thru the process of unzipping, filing, tagging, etc. Yours ARE! I love how you make art out of fonts/script.

I can see that having "recovered" (sort of) from Font Junkie-hood (when you have them all, you become less obsessed!), my next addiction is going to be brushes. I appreciate the links on your blog. I noticed, however, that the brushes are meant for PS. Will they work with PSE? I hope so! I see a very clogged hard drive in my future.

Thanks again.
Shar
BTW, you have gorgeous children.
Yes they will work in Elements. :mrgreen:

I am a member of Scrapper's Guide although I never go there. :oops:
I do hang out at http://jessicasprague.com/index.php I am a moderator there.
If you go into my gallery. I have one for my images and one that has Scrap in it. I have some of the pages I have done from Jessica's last two classes. There are a bunch of us here that are going to take her advanced class together.

So glad you found us. You will learn all kind of neat stuff in a short amount of time, so stick around.
Jump in anywhere! :lol:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi Shar and welcome to the forum. I posted earlier today but it seems my post disappeared. I basically seconded what all Kimi said as I learned it from her.

Look forward to seeing you around the forum more. Post back at midnight and get the third issue of our newsletter.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Welcome Shar! I post over at Scrappers Guide sometimes and a few dozen other places as well. But obviously this is "home".

Please stop by the scrapping section here - lots of fun goodies. There is a weekly sketch challenge that starts every friday - it usually isn't too fru-fru (I'm a plain Jane kinda gal) although tomorrow's is going to be a little more on the girly-girl side just to keep the romantics happy. ;)
I have the 30 day trial of CS3, im wondering if its possible to use my downloaded brushes and any actions from PSE4? OOOPs SORRY, I placed this in the wrong catagory. Can anyone answer it anyways? :o
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
snow... the actions, I would think No.

The brushes... yes. If you have a separate folder for them outside of Elements, you can use them in either. The directions for creating the folder are on my blog. Under the post labeled brushes.
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
This is the best I can come up with so far..will do more digging. Hopefully the more knowledgable (sp)will be along soon to help

Here is a link to a guide to using elements..scroll down to page 28. see if that helps

http://docushare.aladdin.no/dsweb/Get/D ... 0_UGIX.pdf
Thanks for trying. Still not working though. The Alt key doesn't turn into a scissors, and before I can ever choose the brushes that I want to eliminate, I get the window telling me it can't open (these are all the duplicate brushes in the lower half of the menu window). All the same brushes listed in the top half (above the solid line) are accessable.

Very puzzling, huh? :?

Shar
16 posts Page 1 of 2