Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I was wondering if I can use the smart object insted of cropping. When you want to print a picture alot of times you have to crop out a good part of the pic to fit your print size. Can you create a new file ( your finished print size EX. 8x10) and place your smart object picture on top of the new file(blank page)? I only ask this because I know that with smart object you can ctrl T - size & resize without blur. I hope im explaning this properly.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
snowfall,

Not a Smart Object, but . . .

In CS3, when you use the Crop tool there is an option that allows you to Delete or Hide the cropped area.

If you want to use this, first double click on the background later and change it to Layer 0 – or something else, but it cant be a background.

Use the crop tool, click on the Hide option, and then save the file as a PSD file.

When you open the file again you have the option of doing a Image, Reveal all and the original un-cropped picture is there for you.

Try it out. It is important to change the initial layer from background to layer 0 and save as a PSD file (possibly also TIFF – haven’t tried).
John
Smart Object - other option.

I almost always shoot in Camera Raw and just did a test - change the open options in Camera Raw to include Open As Smart Object.

You can then crop the image in Camera Raw and open it in Photoshop.

To go back to the camera raw, double click on the layer icon - this will reopen the camera raw editor, do a left mouse click and hold on the crop tool and select the clear crop. The whole image is back

Once you go back and double click on the smart object layer, the crop can be undone and the whole object is ready to recrop, etc.

Still has to be saved as a PSD file and only works for things like adjustment layers etc, but can be quite useful.
John
John,
Thank you for your helpful reply. I will certainly try this.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
4 posts Page 1 of 1