Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
32 posts Page 1 of 4
Okay, folks! You gripe and curse at it, but it's there to be mastered...the pen tool. This week we have a bunch of exercises to be done with the pen tool, since we need to master it in order to get around to doing cool things with it. And believe me, these easy exercises will help!

So go to this page: http://www.sketchpad.net/drawing8.htm

Download the ZIP file called temppsd.zip at the bottom of the page.
pentool.jpg
pentool.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

Unzip it to a folder or your desktop. There is a document in it called setuppsd.pdf which is included to help you open the PDF files in PS5, but in CS3 it is comparatively easy. Just Use File>Open... and navigate to your files. Click the first lesson (tem1psd.pdf) and click okay. You don't have to, but it will keep the file sizes smaller if you change the resolution on the right of the resulting dialog box to 72ppi, and really, no more is necessary. Click okay, then save the file as a PSD. The documents are self-explanatory and in baby steps. Just read and follow the instructions. Some of the files come out transparent, so it is helpful for the sake of visibility to put a white layer underneath the document.

Another handy tip for you: also download the Pen Tool Cheat Sheet from creativetechs on this page:
http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/adobe_p ... sheet.html
It is a good resource to keep on your desk when struggling with the pen tool.

Your mission is, should you decide to accept it, to draw the figure on the last (6th) page and post it here. Good luck!! I am rooting for you! :cheer2:
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Thanks, Reka, got it. Will play with it this afternoon. Thank you so much for posting these HW's it sure is helping me alot.
Hi Reka, nice to see you back. Hope you had a great vacation. I will give it try later this after.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thanks, guys! We had a great vacation! Wanna see where? :bigwink: Just trying to make you jealous!
http://www.hotel-quelle.com/Home.start.0.html?&L=2
They have 3/4 board, which means you get a HUGE breakfast buffet - I swear it is 10 yards long - plus salad and one dish (noodles or meat or something) at lunch, then from 1p.m. to 4 p.m. cake, soup, coffee and tea, and a 5 course dinner (small portions) from 7 p.m. on. You only have to pay for drinks above what you pay for the room. And the food is GOOD....the most lethal part is the dessert buffet at dinner. I skip parts of dinner just to save room for the wonderful stuff Irene and Sara make.Image

I have, however, spent the whole week washing clothes and haven't even gotten around to all the ironing. :shock: But we did find the time to take the kids out of school today and get another day of skiing in before the Easter crowds start descending upon us. :thumbsup: It was blindingly sunny and the snow was super!!!

I think you will like this week's edition of GTwCS. It really helped me, and it isn't too hard.
Reka
ImageMOM

Reka, it worked. I am jealous.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I need to learn the pen tool. This should be a great lesson. Thanks Reka!!

glad to hear you had a nice time. I'm jealous too. :bigwink:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Glad to hear you're both jealous! :bigwink: :biggrin: I don't usually brag, but I love going to this hotel!
Reka
ImageMOM

Okay, I finished my homework. It isn't perfect, but it is a helluva lot better than anything I have done with the pen tool up to now.
clover.jpg
clover.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

It does take some fiddling, folks, so don't give up right away!
Reka
ImageMOM

This is fun! Here is a smiley for anyone who wants to use it!
smiley.png
smiley.png (29.82 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

Tip: If you are trying new shapes, I find it helpful to use the grid.
Reka
ImageMOM

If that is what we are supposed to make I am sunk!!!!! Those look great, Reka.
32 posts Page 1 of 4