Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Okay all, how about some feedback from anyone who has migrated from Elements to photoshop CS 2 or 3? I know there is a bunch of books and sites that are out there but personal experience is best. For example how hard is is to add brushes, actions, etc?
Thanks! :!:
Bridget
Seeing the light in the digital darkroom, Nikon user since the 70's
Too many forums, too little time...
Hi, freelancer -

I've been using PS since version 6 (I jumped up to it from Elements 1!), and once you get the hang of it, everything is easy to do. There's no need to "add" things to PS - you just call it whenever you want it. The actions palette has a "load" menu, for example, as do most of the other things - brushes, styles, shapes, etc.

There aren't any palettes with little thumbnails in them - that's an Elements thing - but everything is literally just fingertips away.
Last summer I purchased PSCS3 and love it. Most things are very similar between the two programs-there are just more options in PS-and many things are just a lot easier because you don't need to figure out work arounds. That being said, I did upgrade to PSE6 when it came out-though I'm starting to wonder why (I really did it more for Premeire Elements). Anyway, I'm glad I did it (moved up to PS) even though I still have tons to learn.
Deb
--------------------------------------------------------------
Deb
Actually its simpler than adding them in Elements(unless you have Graffis Add-O-Matic of course). The action can be installed anywhere on your computer HD. I download to my Desktop,open it,click on the atn and it magically appears in my action palette. Another click to load it. I save the files in another folder. Its pretty much the same procedure as in Elements to install brushes,just locate your brush folder and drag the file into.
http://www.imphotography.com/downloads/ ... ctions.htm
[quote="Graffi"]Hi, freelancer -

I've been using PS since version 6 (I jumped up to it from Elements 1

I pretty much did the same thing as Graffi. I jumped from a very early verson of Elements to PS7. I found PSE challenging at first. By the time I moved to PS7 it was much easer to get the hang of because it was similar to PSE.
Ellie
oh Graffi. I am so glad to see you! :P

Come Monday why don't we look for a nice simple tut to try?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi Bridget,
I started with PS2 after using Elements 3. Then I beta tested PS3, got that and haven't looked back. I love it. Download the trial and give it a go. The trial is good for 30 days. Go for it.
Eva ;)
Eva
Ya Hey, Ubetcha, Eh
Eva's Break Some Rules Gallery
Nikon D80 & 70-300mm VR Lens
I love CS3. Actually, I love the fact that I can keep my brushes, actions, styles, etc. on a flash disk and just load them when I need them. I love being able to put drop shadows on their own layer and it's much easier to add a layer mask. There are so many things. I do still prefer Elements for some of my photo corrections and I still use it, but usually I'm on CS3 anymore. I know you'll love it too.
I like CSE3 too, although I don't get to spend nearly enough time with it. I hope to remedy that over the upcoming holidays, as I've still got hundreds of Crete pictures to edit and I want to create some calendars and maybe a photobook.

Recently, while looking for a book to read on the plane, I found Galer & Andrews' book, "Photoshop CS3, Essential Skills." It's an excellent introduction to CS3, particularly for someone with limited Photoshop or PSE experience.
Mario
------------
PSE/CS3/D70s

Every picture tells a story, don't it? Rod Stewart.
Two weeks ago I bought an iMac and SC3.

I've been trying to learn OS X Leopard, but I'm going to start on CS3 today.

I'm very glad to read your posts that say it's not that hard.

Russ
12 posts Page 1 of 2