Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been editing photos for my SIL and she pointed out on this one that 2 light bulbs aren't on. How would I go about fixing these? Also, how can i fix the shadow on her face?
I tried the patch tool and other healing tools but couldn't quite get it. I only tried for a few minutes though.
Hopefully someone can help me out :)
Thanks!

Attachments

Hi,

The image is relatively small, but what I did was use the Dodge Tool set to Shadows and 50% exposure with a soft brush.

I did a copy of the layer, clicked on the couples face and neck area. Then changed the blend mode of the copied layer to luminosity

To turn on the lights, I selected one using the Lasso Tool, copied it to its own layer, them used the move tool to move it over the burned out bulb. Duplicated the layer again and moved the second one to the other bulb.

Hollys Wedding 034half.jpg
Hollys Wedding 034half.jpg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
John
I should have read down further to realize that John had already given you "the fix". I'll post anyway because this is an alternative that works for me because I seem to have a lot of problems using both the dodge and burn tool. It's doing the same thing -- I don't know why I can do this well but not the other

Hollys-Wedding.jpg
Hollys-Wedding.jpg (176.38 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

I fixed only one of the lightbulbs - exactly what John did.

Inserted a blank layer at the top and filled it w/gray (Edit > Fill Layer > use the dropdown to select 50% gray) and changed the blend mode of that gray layer to Overlay. Now, paint on that layer with white. Make your brush size a bit smaller than her face and make the opacity of your paintbrush around 11-to-13%. Keep at it until the face "looks right". If you screw up and get it too light, change color to black and swipe over the white.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank you so much!! I did both of those and they came out perfectly!!

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Way to go Rusty! :woohoo: :toast:

I like your way better. A non destructive adjustment like layer!

Now to remember it for the future!
John
Well, hgsfrmme2u, glad they both worked.
Stick around, lots of folks here glad to help when they can -- and, there always will be somebody that knows about whatever is being asked.

John, I hadn't even thought about it being "non destructive". You are exactly right -- it is. I don't know why I have problems using the dodge/burn tools -- I just do. For some reason, I never seem to have problems with this way. In addition to using it for spot exposure work, this is the only way I ever try to add a vignette to an image. The only times I have gotten in trouble was when I was in a hurry and kicked the brush opacity up into the 20s or 30s -- disaster awaits if you do that :D

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
6 posts Page 1 of 1