Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I recently converted to elements 6 from Paint Shop Pro X2.
I've always dropped my pics directly into My Pictures and then went in there to do the tough dirty work - eliminate, name etc, etc.
Organizer seems to offer a much neater way to do a lot of this stuff. However, My geezer brain :doh: : just isn't grasping the concept even with a copy of "The Missing Manual" in hand.
I'm reasonably decent using the editor and I like it better than PSP.
Can anyone provide some advice or help?
Thanks a bunch.
Taxeye From Canada
First, welcome to the forum......you're among friends. :cheer2:

Next, since you asked.........my advice would be to keep using My Pictures. I break mine down into separate folders, i.e., Disney Trip 2008, Christmas 2007, yada yada... I don't rename the files in each folder, though. I'd forget Organizer even came with Elements 6, unless you want to use it to store digital scrap supplies. I did that for a while and then switched to ACDSee for my scrap supplies.

I'm sure you'll get more advice, and maybe even some good instructions. I just found Organizer to be cumbersome for pictures.

Again - welcome. :wave:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
I love the Organizer!! :woohoo:
I did a Goggle search and came up with these videos.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselem ... orials.htm

Once you get the hang of it, it is wonderful!!

by the way... love the name! :bigwink:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Oh, the Organizer!

Your question is just like asking this crowd, "What camera should I buy, Canon or Nikon?" :rotfl:

Welcome to this forum, friend. Hope to see more of you here; you'll find we have a fun bunch.

I hate the Organizer and am perfectly happy with a folder system in My Pictures coupled with another, similar folder system on an external hard drive for "non active" files. Others, like Kimi, love it and use it all the time. You should probably make an effort to learn how to use it (I did) and then make an intelligent decision to either stick with it or ignore it.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Ah, the Organizer.

People either love it or hate it, no in between possibilities seem to exist.

I am an Organizer boy, at least in Photoshop, not personally. :chickendance:

I started off eschewing the Organizer because I was a Folders guy, then had to get Organized when I started shooting RAW and at that point in time hadn't found a way of getting raw thumbnails to show up in Explorer.

Got to like it, then love it as I started using tags, etc.

I am now using Lightroom which is essentially another type of Organizer and go at images by tags, folders, etc.

I also use a folder storage system within Lr that has one folder per year, then one per month in each year. About a year ago I started having problems where my two Canon cameras were starting to generate "duplicate" names and have started renaming images with a IMGyyyy-mm-nnnn (year, month, sequential for the month) and that has worked well.
John
:woohoo:
Thanks y'all :D
I guessed Organizer might provoke all these "passive" responses.
I really appreciate the welcomes too. :D
I will look through the "google" link provided and see if it helps this old guy.
BTW - the Nikon -Canon thing? I sorted that out already and bought the Sony a200.
It was the "Right" 1st dslr camera for me and I was fortunate to have the chance to handle each of the cameras in the price range before choosing.
As for Organizer :? I'll keep on expoloring.
And yes, you are a great bunch and I look forward to more participation here.
Regards,
Taxeye in Canada
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you here often. I am one of those that does not use the organizer. Would rather have my own filing system. As you can see we are divided on this one question.
bumped up
Just some History -

When I started off in 2004, I waited until January the next year to buy a digital camera. I bought a Canon G6 and shot a few pictures with it but didn't get back into photography for about a year later - March 2006 when I got a call from someone who was having problems with Elements 4. I tried to give some help, got bitten by the bug, got involved with the local camera club and started learning PSE4 to help my friend.

Then got really involved and found out that mt G6 didn't quite cut the mustard, so talked myself into buying a Canon 30D DSLR. Umnh.

When I started off, I was a Windows Explorer guy - managed my own file system and backup strategy, used the explorer thumbnails to tell me what picture to pick, etc.

Then started shooting in RAW. Bummer, didn't have a RAW thumbnnail viewer that would work, so reluctantly, had to start to work with Organizer. Hated it at first, then learned it and got to love it. :love:

It never broke on me or did anything bad that so many people have reported issues with.

Later I bought CS3 and stayed away from Bridge for a while, preferring to use Organizer, then migrated to Bridge as more and more features and tutorials that I was looking at convinced me it was time to switch.

Then in March of this year got an offer to buy Lightroom which came bundled with OnOne suite for Photoshop, so bit the bullet again.

I had first tried the Lightroom Beta and hated it, but downloaded the trial version with its 30 day trial period and made up my mind to go ahead and make the purchase/

Lightroom is like Organizer on Steroids! I still use Bridge for some things, but use Lr for all my basic exposure mods, only going to CS3 when I need to do some masking or selective corrections - I believe some of these are going to be included in Lr 2 release shortly, but am comfortable with where I am now.

So, long story. I think the point of it is, I used the software or approach that made sense at the time, modified it or junked it when the situation demanded and was flexible enough to make the change when I had to. I still organize and control my file system and directory structure the same way irrespective of the manner I am managing my access to images. And, I still revert back to Windows Explorer at times when it is called for.
John
Hi taxeye,

Welcome to the forum!

I do not use the Organizer but I wanted to give you some advice on the Organizer. If you ever want to rename a file; move a file, or delete/erase a file... make sure you do it with the Organizer, not with Windows. If you do any of the above with Windows then the Organizer will not know where your original file went to.
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
Canon XSi - 18-55mm IS lens - 70-300 IS USM lens
PSE5 / PSE6
WinXP - Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz - 1.0GB Ram
10 posts Page 1 of 1