Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
16 posts Page 1 of 2
I want to copy all of the actions I have in CS from my laptop so I can load them into my new desktop.
I dug around and can't find them in a folder?

Can someone give me the correct location please.... :doh:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi - I don't know where they'd be for CS, but two places I'd start: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe (drill down from there) or C:\Program Files\Adobe (drill down). You can also do a search of your hard drive for *.atn. Hope that helps. Sunny
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Hi Kimi,

For CS3 the actions that come with the program are located here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Actions. As far as any actions that you created or added, the location depends on where you saved them.

If you don't remember where you saved them, do a search for .atn files.

Hope this helps.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Thanks Amy..

I could have sworn I looked in the preset folder. Will check again.
I didn't even think about the ones I have created myself.
I will re do them, maybe I will do a better job. :bigwink:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
And it looks like you're going to have to manually save the actions that you may have created. I searched on *.atn and could only find the ones that come with CS3, but they would be created when you install the program anyway. I looked in Adobe's documentation and couldn't find any mention of where any actions you may have created are stored. Actions that I have imported from other sources are in the same folder where Adobe's default actions are stored, plus I keep a copy.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
You choose where to save actions that you create or download. I keep all my actions, filters, brushes, etc. (other than those installed by the program) on a network drive so that I can access them from either my desktop or laptop computer.

Gene -- just creating an action doesn't automatically save it. Highlight the action you want to save then use the flyout menu and select 'Save Action' . You can then select a place to save the actions. I think by default it goes to the preset folder, but I am not sure since I don't save them there anyway. As far as I know, you have to repeat this process for each action set you create.
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Gene -- just creating an action doesn't automatically save it.

Yup...I figured that one out when I searched on *.atn and could not find my created actions anywhere. They are now backed up. I had assumed that CS3 would have been putting them in the same folders as the default actions were, or in a folder under my login name on my PC, but it wasn't.

I'm glad Kimi asked this question. :)
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

AARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!

i can't find them in the files. I found an Action folder under presets in program files and documents and setting.
The Program file had what looked to be like the basics that came with the program.

I ran a search for .atn files. It come up with all my Element actions. But only 7 of my CS actions. :crying:
And 5 of those are new and I have put them in both. (Sigh......)

any other suggestions??
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi - may not be related, but do you have "show hidden files and folders" checked in folder options?
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
You're going to have to manually save your created actions to your HD or to a CD and then load them into CS on the other machine.

If you have your actions palette in button mode, the easiest thing to do is get it out of button mode by clicking the little down arrow off to the left in the palette. Once you are out of button mode, your actions should be gathered in sets that look like folders. If they aren't, you can create a set by clicking the folder icon at the bottom of the action panel, then drag your actions into that new new folder. Once you are done with that, highlight the folder, click the down arrow again that you clicked to get out of button mode, then click Save Actions in the menu that opens up. You can save a copy of your actions anywhere you want them.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

16 posts Page 1 of 2