Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Im always having trouble making a stroke line on CS3. I never have problems in elements.
This is what I do:
photo
new layer
choose color
on new layer> edit>stroke
inside, outside or center it doesnt matter --- NOTHING happens!!!!

Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong?
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
Linda. you need to make a selection on the new layer where you want the stroke to be. You have to tell CS3 what to put the stroke outline on.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim, then she would be getting an error window that there is nothing to stroke.
This is a funny one. Do you have the blend mode set to normal??? Is the opacity at 100%? Maybe if you have a large document with a large resolution, maybe the stroke is too small? I can't think of anything else. Probably something obvious. :?
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Reka, I do it this way all the time and never get a message. I either make a selection of the photo and then highlight the new blank layer or I use the marque tool to make a selection of the area I want to stoke. I have also used the magic wand and clicked in the layer and this puts the marching ants around the entire layer and then I do a stroke outline. These ways have worked for me whether I do Edit >Stroke or of I double click the layer in the palette and select stroke there.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
No, you misunderstood me. If she made no selection to begin with, it would give her an error message.

Is it giving you an error message, Linda, or is it just not doing anything?
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
AngelicKim wrote: Linda. you need to make a selection on the new layer where you want the stroke to be. You have to tell CS3 what to put the stroke outline on.

hukari wrote: Kim, then she would be getting an error window that there is nothing to stroke.

Reka, I do not mean to debate you here, but I did not misunderstand you. I said a selection needed to be made and you clearly said that would give an error.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
OK now, I have a picture & its all finished and ready to save, but before I do that I want to put a stroke around it.
Do I put a new blank layer above the photo first than put a stroke around it or do I use the marquee tool & place marching ants around it then click on new layer and put the stroke on after that?

I think that may be the problem. The order I do it in.

Whats the difference if I place it in the center, inside or outside?

Hope this isnt a pain in the butt question.
Sorry if it is, this has been driving me nuts since I had CS3.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
I found this, Linda. Hope it helps

1. Start Adobe Photoshop CS3 and open a document from your files that contains an object or layer that you want to create a stroke around.
Step2. Select the layer that contains the object you want to apply the stroke to in the Layers palette. The layer will become highlighted once it is selected.
Step3.Right-click on the selected layer and choose "Blending Options" from the submenu. The "Layer Style" dialog box will open onto the desktop.
Step4. Click on the "Stroke" option in the "Styles" list of the "Layer Style" dialog box. The stroke settings will be brought up on the right side of the dialog box.
Step5. Change the size of the stroke by moving the slider to the right to increase the size and to the left to decrease the size. Choose "Outside," "Inside" or "Center" to set the position of the stroke. You can choose to apply blend mode or change the opacity of the stroke, as well. The "Fill Type" can be set to "Color," "Gradient" or "Pattern" and then the settings for those can be set here.
Step6. Select the "OK" button to save the stroke settings, close the "Layer Style" dialog box and return you back to your Photoshop document. The stroke you specified will now be added to the selected layer in your document
And this one:

Adding Borders
You can specify the color, location, size, and opacity of your borders in Photoshop. This document explains how to add customized borders to your Photoshop images.

Right click Rectangle Marquee tool and select the desired shape for your border

Click and drag the mouse until the marquee is in the desired shape for your border
A moving dashed line appears around your selection.

From the Edit menu, select Stroke...
The Stroke dialog box appears.

Under Stroke, in the Width text box, type the desired pixel width

To select the color of the border:
Click the Color swatch
The Select stroke color dialog box appears.

Select the desired color
NOTE: For additional help on selecting a color, see Working with Colors.
Click OK

In the Location section, make the desired selection
Inside: the border appears inside of the dashed-selection line
Center: the border appears centered over the dashed-selection line
Outside: the border appears outside of the dashed-selection line

In the Blending section, from the Mode pull-down list, select the desired mode

OPTIONAL: In the Blending section, in the Opacity text box, type the desired percentage of opacity
NOTE: 100% opacity is solid coloring. Lowering the opacity makes your border transparent.

Click OK
The border is applied.
Linda if you want to put a stoke around the entire image try this...

Crtl A. this will select the entire image and give you a selection.
Create a new blank layer above your image.
pick your color, go to edit, stroke, pick you size.
Use inside to get it to show. If you use outside, no it won't show in this case.
This should work fine for you.

I do use outside when I am stroking text a lot. It is in the document already so it will show.
did I explain that well?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
12 posts Page 1 of 2