Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
19 posts Page 1 of 2
I took this pictures behind an orange like color curtain and it casted it's color on the people clothing and skin.
I'll be eternally greatfull if I can get a step by step instructions to fix this in CS3. Thank you.

Here are they.

Attachments

Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Don,

I tried a Colour Balance adjustment layer and got this.

mrs.harvey-2 copy.jpg
mrs.harvey-2 copy.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 1880 times

Once you get it right, you can drag and drop the adjustment layer to your other images and correct them also.

I used these settings:

cb1.jpg
cb1.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 1879 times

Hard to tell what is right, but you have the advantage of the larger images and having "been there"

Good luck.
John
Don, did you shoot these in RAW? If so, adjusting the white balance in ACR should fix them quite easily. If they're JPEGs, it could be quite a bit more difficult. I might still run them through ACR to see if the white balance sliders would take care of the issue.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
mrsharvey-w.jpg
mrsharvey-w.jpg (183.69 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

This one is difficult because it is more a color cast problem than a white balance one. You can correct white balance to a certain extent, with ACR or the quick fix sliders in PSE for instance. I had to use as well selective hue/sat adjustments for each interesting hue: reds, yellows, cyans, magentas and I controlled tones (luminosity) with a S-curve type gradient map adjustment layer in luminosity mode.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel, excellent job!

Could you explain to me the difference between a white balance problem and a color cast? I consider them to be similar if not equal, i.e., in both cases the color of the light on the subject is different from what the camera is set to expect. I did try corrections in ACR on this image, but was not as successful as you were with your multiple adjustments.

Thanks!
Chuck
Michel.... wonderful job.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Chuck_S wrote: Michel, excellent job!

Could you explain to me the difference between a white balance problem and a color cast? I consider them to be similar if not equal, i.e., in both cases the color of the light on the subject is different from what the camera is set to expect. I did try corrections in ACR on this image, but was not as successful as you were with your multiple adjustments.

Thanks!

I'll comment on this later on (it's time to walk the dog...)
In the meantime, here is the layered psd file:
http://michelbretecher.perso.sfr.fr/mrsharvey-1.psd
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Michel,

Wow,

I downloaded your PDF and dragged the layers to the other image. Had to sample and fill the colour layer to fill it for the larger image. Worked in an instant.

Don should be able to copy this to his other images - if shot under similar conditions, either a quick fix or may require some minor tweaks.

Fascinating!
John
Please, just take my editing as an experiment, not a do-it-all correction workflow.
In my understanding, white balance is mainly a problem of the colour temperature of the light source. The temperature slider (blue/yellow) which is the first to use in either ACR or the quick fix PSE dialog is meant to correct for the variation in daylight at different hours in the day, as well as with tungsten of full spectrum light sources. The secondary slider, 'tint' , green/magenta is less important, and can take care of other types of lightings like fluorescent. When you have found a suitable temperature, you may still have to correct the green/magenta slider to get acceptable whites and greys.

Color casts are often the result of reflection of coloured walls or tinted sources of light (stained glass...) and can be of any kind of pure (saturated) colors, here orange. Don Diego said it was the result of an orange curtain. The problem here is that it is difficult to find a way to correct it because the skin hue as well as part of the background are not far from orange. You don't see it clearly because the skin tone is darker. You have to check which other hues are present in the image, and find a way to restore them. Furthermore, orange lighting on relatively dark skin lightens the skin significatively, as would an orange/red filter. So my idea was to darken the skin, and enhance the saturation of magentas and cyans.

If you want to really see the hues or colors independently from luminosity, use Richard Lynch's advice: add a solid color fill of 50% grey in luminosity mode. You'll see that there is not much differences in red/yellows, which means you should enhance and decrease luminosity to get some contrast, and you'll see which hues for which you can tweak saturation.

One feature of hue/sat adjustment layers is that a single layer can have different settings for different hues; it is not the best advice to do so, better use different adjustment layers to document your settings, and foremost, to use different masks for different colors.

Last thing I did with the color layer: to counterbalance any color cast, you can copy to a new layer, and use filter blur average to sample the dominant hue, then invert and set to multiply mode with various opacities. There are many actions on this principle (from Cspringer at atncentral, if I remember well).
Michel B

Mes Galeries
Michel, thanks very much for the tutorial!
Chuck
19 posts Page 1 of 2