Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I have an icon that I made and saved as a bitmap image. I have used this icon on 2 or 3 computers with no problem. On my new laptop it does not work. It shows as a psd thumbnail image. :crying:

I am running Windows XP. I have read info about a dll. file needing to be replaced. I even downloaded a viewer that was supposed to show the image but I am not getting anywhere.

Has this happened to anyone else in the past?
Got any ideas???
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Are you getting any error messages when you try to open it? If so, what are they? You mention a .dll file needing replaced. What is the .dll file? If you right click the icon and view its properties, what is there? When you moved the original bitmap file from your old computer to the new one, how was it done? If you are able to open it in PSE/CS, have you tried re-saving it as bmp again? What happens if you do?

I've never seen this, and after doing some searching so far have not found anything on it. Sounds suspiciously like the extension may have changed - somehow. :puter:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
i see it just fine in CS3. it is saved on the external just like it was when I added it to the desktop.
I have had this icon for quite a while. it says kimi. i use it as my shortcut icon for the external.
it has worked fine on every computer I have used it on.

I save it to the desktop. search and change it as the icon, then throw it in my stuff folder.
this time when I saved it to the desktop on the new laptop. I don't see the icon image. I get a psd thumbnail image instead. I can open it up in CS3 and it looks fine.
So I get no error message but I don't get my bitmap image. it still says bitmap but it won't show the icon.

Does any of that make sense?

I asked at PET.
this is the thread.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/s ... itmap+icon

this is what Wendy sent me to. I read it but I still don't get it. :doh:
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/a ... t-359.html
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
OK...read through the links you posted. It seems that in order to view this icon, you need the psicon.dll file, however Adobe quit supplying it after PSE2/PS7 due to issues it was causing on people's PC's. If you at one time ran either of those versions (or earlier), that's where you got it from, and I am assuming on your new PC you never installed the earlier versions so now you don't have that .dll file.

Never fear! It can be gotten and you can get it from here. Once you have it, copy it in to your Windows\System32 folder (it seems that's where the majority of dll files live) and you could also copy it to your Windows main folder. You may need to reboot the machine in order for it to use it, so if you still can't see the icon properly after you've copied it over, then reboot. I never had either of those programs, so I know its not on my PC so I can't search and see where it should be if the locations above are incorrect. Perhaps someone on the forum that has either of the earlier PSE and PS programs can search and let you know if this doesn't work for you.

And where I am getting confused is you refer to the icon as a bitmap, but it shows as a PSD on the desktop/floder. .BMP and .PSD are two different file types, and .BMP should definitely show up properly as it is a Windows file type.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

Gene: I'm guessing that Kim has her .bmp images in the list of file types to be opened preferentially by CS3; if that's the case, the PSD icon will appear in lieu of the thumbnail if that dll file is absent. In my case, my desktop is littered with what appear to be squashed red cats - the icon for IrfanView, my default JPEG viewer! :D
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Hmmm....hadn't considered that.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

downloaded this, and followed directions.
created folder, pasted dll. ran Adobe reg.
http://www.josh.biz/tech/6-view_psd_thumbnails.html

I still get this.... :crying: (oh, this is my desktop)
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
OK....I was able to recreate your problem on my desktop. I resaved a JPG as a BMP using Windows Paint, and lo and behold, ended up with exactly what you have. Which got me to thinking.

Since you are trying to use this an icon, I did a search on icon creator and found Easy Icon Maker and downloaded the free trial. Once installed, I opened it then did File -> Import From Graphics (which incidentally defaults to .BMP files, but it will just as easily open JPGs.) and found my bitmap file and opened it. I then saved it as an icon file. With this program you can also design your own icons. Incidentally, Icon Creator creates 32 pixel X 32 pixel Icons, so if what you are using is larger you won't see the entire picture. You could create a picture in PSE/CS and do a Save For Web and specify it to be that size.

Once you do that, right click the saved icon file and do Send To -> Desktop Create Shortcut.
Then, right click the newly created shortcut file, select Properties, and set the Target box in the Shortcut tab to what you want to open when you click the shortcut. Since you want to use this to open one of your EHD's, put "E:\" in the Target box. E happens to be one of my EHD's, use whatever letter your drive is in place of it.

You can then change the appearance of the shortcut to your newly created icon file by right clicking it, select Properties -> Shortcut tab -> Change Icon and point it to the icon file. Otherwise, if you are using this to open a drive, the icon will change to look like a drive just as they appear inside Windows Explorer. You can name the icon whatever you want also, just like any other.

That should solve your problem. :puter:

OH...and I have some JPG files on my desktop and they don't show up as thumbnails, either on the Desktop like you can get them to do in Windows Explorer. I think the desktop will only show icons, not thumbnails, unless you view the Desktop through Windows Explorer. But you can change the icons that are used, if you want to by file type.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

I am still stuck here.
I really don't want to use an icon program when CS3 will work.
But I can't for the life of me figure out why this bitmap will show on every computer except my new laptop.

Any other ideas?????
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Sorry....we were away most of last week and first part of this week and no access to PC or laptop. Had another son graduating from Air Force boot camp at Lackland AFB in San Antonio (pictures to come).

Off the top of my head I have no more ideas, but will do some looking. If all your PCs are running the same OS, I would wonder if one of the MS updates might be doing this. I keep my PC updated at all times, but if some of your machines are a little behind, it may be the reason for the differences in what you are seeing.

I'm at work right now and don't have any PSD files available to me at the moment, so I can't move one to my desktop and see what it does on my laptop here. And I am having PC problems at home, so I need to be careful there. The bracket on the mother board that holds the CPU fan had a tab break, and now my fan isn't sitting on the CPU properly. I need to replace that bracket, and may have to tear my PC completely apart to do it. Not looking forward to that and this is the first time I've had something like this happen. :puter:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

10 posts Page 1 of 1