Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
11 posts Page 1 of 2
I got a freebie from Adobe for registering my new CS4. The freebie I picked is 16 new fonts. I tried to follow the directions that came with thedownload and that's when things got crazy. Since the directions didn't match the events on the screen, I tried best as I could to extract the zip file to the windows temp file and then drag and drop the fonts to the font file. Still no go. I kept getting the error message that yyyyyyyyy is not a legitimate file and would not load it. Any ideas folks?
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Hi Chas. What is the file extention of the font after you unzip them? And what operating system are you using?

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim,
The file extension is .otf. and I'm using Vista Home Premium.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Here are the instructions for installing the fonts in Vista. Give this a go and let us know what happens:

1 Select “Control Panel” from the Start menu. Select “Appearance and Personalization.” Select “Fonts.”
2 In the Fonts window, right-click in the list of fonts, and choose “Install New Font.”
3 Navigate to the folder that contains the fonts you want to install.
OpenType fonts purchased online from Adobe will be in the location where you decompressed them.
4 Select the fonts you want to install. You can click to select one font, Control-click to select several fonts, or Shift-click to select a contiguous group of fonts.
5 Press the “OK” button to install the fonts.
6 Close the Fonts control panel when you are finished.
The fonts are now installed and will appear in the font menus of your applications. NOTE: Type 1 fonts will not be available in Windows applications that use GDI+ or Windows Presentation Foundation. Such applications are not common at this time.

That is from the Open Type User Guide. OTF stands for Open Type Font.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Gene,
Those were the very instructions that didn't work. That's why I tried to drag and drop them. I never saw an OK button to click on.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
OK........

Since the directions didn't match the events on the screen, I tried best as I could to extract the zip file to the windows temp file and then drag and drop the fonts to the font file.

So what exactly did you do, then? How are you extracting them?
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
I used Winzip. I extracted the font files to the windows temp file. From there I attempted to drag and drop the new fonts to the font file. At each drag, I got the admin window and clicked on it and it seemed to load as usual but the fonts never showed up in the main font file.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Chas, sounds like they may have installed into the temp file instead of the where they need to be. Go tot he temp file where you extracted them to, right click the font and click Install. See if that works. That's how I always install fonts in Vista (and Windows 7).

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
:thanks: :thanks: Kim,
It worked like a charm.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Glad you got that working!
GeneVH

My SmugMug