Just for Beginners, post your questions, ask for help, get opinions...
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Can someone give me instructions on how to do this. I'm trying to create a card and I want the picture to be an oval shape with feathering. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks so much,
Bridget
I do not have cs2 so i can not help but i would like to welcome you to the forum. Someone i am sure will be able to pick up the ball and answer your question.
Welcome to the forum,
A google search for "oval shape photoshop" listed this reference
http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/feathering.html
It uses the elliptical tool with feathering, which is a standard tool in CS2. The help section of the CS2 provides an explanation of the marquee tools.
If more help is needed, please let us know.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Judy....thanks so much for the welcome. I really enjoy this site when I have time to browse.

Yes I do need more help. I've attached what I want to do with this effect. This is the back of a xmas card for one of my clients. Her husband passed away suddenly over the summer and she wants to incorporate him into the family xmas card. I want him kind of in the background with a oval crop and softened a bit. I put a vignette around him but I don't like the hard edge of the bottom. I'm not really loving this card either. Anyone have ideas on how I can incorporate him into the card other than what I'm doing.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

Bridget

Attachments

Bridget, What you have so far is nice.
The background of leaves seem a little difficult to work with. Other forum members will likely have suggestions for you, since many are wonderful scrappers with very creative suggestions. They might know of a template that would work better than my hasty suggestion.
Good Luck with your caring & thoughtful project.
Perhaps you could place some text or an appropriate graphic/image in the blank area at the top.
Bridget card2.jpg
Bridget card2.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Betty
Hi Bridget,
One thing you might want to consider is using a clipping mask. This isn't the best example, I just grabbed two images from my current trip.
clipping mask.jpg
clipping mask.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 4847 times

Put your background on the bottom. Put the face you want to add on top. Put a blank layer in the middle. On that blank layer, draw your oval; set a feather before you draw, then fill the drawn selection with a color. Now, group the face-layer with the middle layer. Shazam, the only thing that shows is that part of the top layer that is 'lined up with' the clipping mask.

Now you can adjust the mask (transform or move tool) to change what you want to show. If you don't like your feather, re-do it.

Just an idea.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty.....thanks for the help. I do have a question. I followed your instructions but when I moved the photo onto the canvas it was rectangle. I drew my oval shape but I don't understand how to "fill the drawn selection with a color". Do I select all? Use paint bucket? A little confused. I love the look. I think she'll be happy with it when I get it completed.

Just want to thank everyone for their replies and help.

Bridget
Rusty, just the right suggestion with good graphics & detailed directions.
Betty
Bridget,
when you draw your oval with the marquee tool, the outline of the oval is automatically "a selection"
clipping mask 2.jpg
clipping mask 2.jpg (137.32 KiB) Viewed 4788 times

The oval is defined by the 'marching ants'; do NOT deselect anything. While that selection is active (on the blank layer), fill it with Edit > Fill Selection -- the color doesn't matter, I usually use black.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty.....I'm so sorry but I'm not getting it. I've never worked with clipping masks. Not sure of two things:
1. how to group face layer with middle layer and 2. where does clipping masks come into play. Basically once I moved photo onto canvas and draw selective with margquee I'm lost. Please help.

Thanks for your patience with me.....I'll get it eventually.

Bridget
17 posts Page 1 of 2