A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
I have CS3 extended and never show a problem before now but here is my issue. I create a file and try to save it as a png and the program locks up and goes to not responding. I have to do the ctrl-alt-del to close the program. This is a HUGE hinderance. Can anyone help me fix this????? :crying:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
I was having the same problem in Elements. It happened if I had a large PSD-file that I would try to save as a Jpeg. The 'puter finally kept doing more and more screwy things and a repair shop determined that my hard drive was failing.

The hard drive was replaced and I have not had this problem since. Soooooooooooo, word to the wise. Make darned sure you have your C:-drive well backed up.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Has it been a while since you rebooted your computer? If you can, save your .psd, reboot and then try again. Do your backup!! :D
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Great, my puter is doing weird things and I have that on my list to replace the HD to a 500 gb. To answer all questions is that I did a small grunge brush and created an overlay that I really like and wanted to save it as a png.........it took forever for it to save and the computer would either lock up and I would have to do the crtl-alt-del to close the program out or reboot all together.

I have rebooted several times today and still the same ole thing on saving any type/size png file. It didn't do this last week. :evil:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Jen, are you using xp or vista. this might help, like looking

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.grap ... cef189554c

and this
do you have 'Enable Version Cue' checked in the PS Preferences dialogue (it is on by default). There have problems with this. I had the same problem as you though it was present from the outset and didn't start after working for months. Anyway, unchecking the box in preferences (ie, disabling Version Cue) worked for me....there are references to this on the internet. See if it works for you!
The one above seems to have worked for the person who was having the same problem as you (to disable the version cue, it in under preferences>file handling) After you uncheck shut down cs3 and then reopen.
Suzi, I unchecked that box and nothing, it's still hangs up. I don't understand why and it's only when I save png files.
Jen Clark
Jen, you are describing exactly what I was going thru.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete, coupled with cold boots, would solve the immediate problem. Then it would come right back, if not that day, the next.

My advice is to get your C-drive stuff backed up as quickly as possible to CDs, DVDs or EHD.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
:crying: Hope you resolve your problem soon.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Jen,

I don’t see that what you are experiencing is a hardware problem as much as software – but backups should always be taken.

I would suggest a staged approach.

First, try going thru control panel, then do a repair for CS3.

Next, try doing a reset of preferences, - launch CS3 and press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift while it is launching. This is equivalent to the same thing for Elements and will do a complete reset of all preferences.

Finally, I would uninstall CS3 and then do a reinstall.

This will leave all your stuff except preferences intact and will give you an out of the box install.
John
I tried the repair thing and the CD stopped working so I think it's this retarded DELL computer that has given me problems since day 1. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DELL........did I say that loud enough????

I'm going to have the HD changed out very soon because I'm now down to 14.6 gb on a 60 gb internal drive. I'm changing it to a 500 gb and still have my 2 other EHD.

Too many things are happening with this computer. I'm having problems opening word documents, it takes 2 trys every time, having problems formatting a DVD so I can drag files to it. I do one and then the machine locks up. I always have too many issues. The worst thing is now photoshop is acting up and that is my favorite.

Hope the new HD cures all the issues because it's going to the computer DR. with a list to fix. :shock:
Jen Clark
13 posts Page 1 of 2