A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
In PSE, there are options under the Image > Rotate menu to target just the active layer for rotation or flipping.

I cannot find how to do that in CS4 -- the only rotation/flip commands I can find act on the entire document, not just the active layer.

Am I just not looking in the right place, or does PSE have an edge on CS4 in this respect?

TIA.
Byron,

Try Edit, Transform, Flip . . . based on CS3

rotate.jpg
rotate.jpg (93.87 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
John
Same thing works in CS4. Thanks Byron for the question and John for the answer. I didn't know this was there in either CS3 or 4. I have always just done a free transform and have to to nudge and pull to get it back to the right shape. Always meant to ask this question and never remember when I am on the forum.

Whoo hoo, thanks again. I feel stupid as I just assumed there was some long hard way to do perspective and skew, etc. in CS and go back to Elements when I want to use those. Don't know how I have missed this all this time.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I don't use CS3 or CS4, but I wonder if you can rotate freely as in PSE. You also have the 'flip' horizontal or vertical option in PSE, but no arbitrary rotating?

In the same way, I often wondered why I did not find a 'crop' option for layers only.
To do this, I use the rectangular (or ellipsoidal) marquee tool, inverse selection and delete. A 'crop' option for layers would be handy, maybe I have missed it?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I always use Ctrl T once I get the bounding box, I right click in the box for the correct option. :P
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Many thanks! I was optimistic the feature was there -- just named and placed differently than I grew up with in PSE.
MichelB wrote: I don't use CS3 or CS4, but I wonder if you can rotate freely as in PSE. You also have the 'flip' horizontal or vertical option in PSE, but no arbitrary rotating?

In the same way, I often wondered why I did not find a 'crop' option for layers only.
To do this, I use the rectangular (or ellipsoidal) marquee tool, inverse selection and delete. A 'crop' option for layers would be handy, maybe I have missed it?

Yes, thank goodness for Undo because I've tried to crop just a layer, forgetting that the entire document gets cropped. Oops!

Courtney
MichelB wrote: ... I wonder if you can rotate freely as in PSE. You also have the 'flip' horizontal or vertical option in PSE, but no arbitrary rotating?

There are two ways to rotate freely in CS4; Both involve choosing Edit > Transform > Rotate. From there you can either position the curser outside the image where you get a double headed curved arrow. The other way is to use the scrubby slider at the third option box from the right or by typing an angle into that box if you know exactly how much you want to rotate. By default the layer rotates around the center of the layer, which is shown by the little circle with the cross hairs. If you want to change the axis of rotation, simply move this center to another point, then rotate the layer.

As far as a crop tool for layers, All layers must be the same size; you can not crop one layer to be a different size than the others. You can erase pixels in the layer by making a selection and using the delete key as you are doing, or you can select Edit > Clear, which also deletes all pixels in the selection.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
8 posts Page 1 of 1