A place to seek advice and answers on those particularly challenging issues.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi All, haven't posted for a while, but been happily lurking as usual.

I have a question that is driving me nuts. A while ago I saw a tutorial video, which blended 2 photos together, it was a sunflower and a sunset. He brought the sunflower into the yellow sunset picture and it looked OK but the colours were out. Then in went into one of the drop down menus, a couple of clicks and et voila, a perfect blend.

Does anybody have any idea what I am talking about???

If anybody recalls that exact video, that would be great, but not necessary (I think it may have been Lynda.com but I can't find it). But I would really like to know how this was done.

I tried colour match, but that is not the one.

Greatly appreciate anybody saving me from insanity here, you know what it is like trying to track down some old great tips and not finding them ;)

Btw, I am using CS3
Linda.. it sounds wonderful. I do hope someone remembers it. I would love to see it. :D

do try our CS tutorials that Reka is posting. This week we made lightning. :P
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi, I know, I watched it - amazing. I want to give that one a go. I was trying to think of something I could do with it on my christmas card, then decided that I would keep it simple and do one of a Christmas tree and one of our dogs (wearing a Christmas hat of course ;) ) and use this colour technique.

So you see, really, it was the tutorial re. lightening that started this whole search thing off :mrgreen:

I will find it, even if it is after Christmas - and I promise to "share the secret" ;)

Linda
Yeah... I saw one of Denise's images yesterday and now I am on a quest. It is great that our minds can keep us going. :P
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I FOUND IT :D :D :D

I am so happy, such a relief!

OK, not quite as I thought but still really good tip. I will try and explain.

It was on http://www.lynda.com - Deke McClelland, CS2 Channels & Masks, Perfecting your Composition.

His composition was 2 images, 1 sunset with a warm peachy colour and the 2nd image was a sunflower, bright sunny yellow.

1. On sunflower layer (or layer you are blending to match background) Add layer style (at bottom "fx"). Choose colour overlay

2. Default fills selection with red

3. Click on red colour swatch

4. With eyedropper pick colour on background to match

5. Sunflower (in this case) fills with solid peach colour

6. Change blend mode to colour

7. Drop opacity to what looks right, in this case 40%

That's it. OK, I know this is sort of basic stuff, but I have never used colour overlay as a layer style, only as a blend mode. It is really quite effective and great to give composites a cohesive look.

I am off to have a go now, if successful, I will post the result.

Linda
kimi_boo wrote: It is great that our minds can keep us going. :P

Or spinning in my case :D

Linda
I'm trying Linda... I can get the red but I can't change the color. :cry:

I may have to look it up.
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
There are 2 reds that come up - It's the red box next to the blend mode, not the other red box.

Does that help?
Linda.. I think I got it. I didn't realize you could do that in layer styles. Thanks!

~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hey you got it :D - It's fun as well isn't it. I have been working away here trying to come up with a card, without success :cry: But hey, I'm having fun failing ;)

Linda
13 posts Page 1 of 2