Share ideas, layouts and resources about scrapping and memory management.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am in charge of yearbook for my son's 5th grade class. My plan is to go digi. Has anyone done this before? My main questions are:
1. Print options (cost is a factor)
2. Page size/canvas size, what works best so things don't get cut off
3. Page/file management - keeping things in order.

Thanks
Maureen
Guess who???

Look into PrestoPhoto for possibly doing your yearbook. I have not created one only a photo book but the are about the same size. The site link is on the top right side of the forum it says powered by prestophoto. That would be a great place to start. They have great prices and nice looking products.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
Chronologically is probably the best thing. If your camera or others who take them doesn't automatically add the date info to the file name when it downloads, rename with date and childs name or event ASAP. Actually you probably should rename ASAP even if it does - makes it easier to assemble pages later.

Most yearbooks are 8 1/2 x11 - PrestoPhoto offers them in both hard and softcovers

No matter what size you choose, or what company you choose to use, don't put anything that you don't want to possibly have cropped within a 1/2" of any edge.

Here is a link to PrestoPhoto's size, binding and price specifications - they offer 15 different sizes at the moment so their are lots of options. http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/Book+Binding+Specifications
Wags,

That looks awesome. I will definitely do a trail run with another project to see what the team thinks. If I read it right and 8x11 soft cover is $5 + .25 a page, so a 60 page book will be about $20. That works for us. So glad I found this site!!!
Maureen
Yes you read it right :)
Jane, I am going to start doing a yearly photo book for each of my graddaughters. What is the best way to upload to PrestoPhoto. Do your own pages and upload those or what. I have tried to find a good way to do it at their site but can't find any good info. can you point me in the right direction
If you go to PrestoPhoto's home page and click on the scrapbook tab at the top that will take you to some of the tutorials I wrote. That whole section is in the process of getting a make-over, but there is enough there to get you started. This page is probaby the most important - http://www.prestophoto.com/wiki/index.php?structure_id=454 There is also a link at the bottom of the page for png overlays that show the crop guidelines if you find those easier to use than the grid on Elements.

Making your own pages and uploading them as jpegs is best. (You only need to upload PDF's if you can't do jpegs) that gives you complete control over the way the pages look. And depending on the book size you choose you can also create a custom cover. If you are going to be uploading a large number of pages - say over 50 - you can contact customer service about setting up and FTP account to speed the process.

The nice thing about square format is you can scrap in the industry standard 12x12 and then resize to about anything. I scrap in 12x12 and do the 8.5 x 8.5 books.
Thanks, Jane that is exactly what I needed. ONe last question I am planning on doing the 8 1/2 by 11 size . What size should my pages be that I upload
The same size as the book - just remember when creating your pages not to put anything of importance that you don't want cropped within a 1/2" of any any edge.

You can save as psd files and then batch convert to jpegs when your book is done. Or of course you can upload as you go to. If you do wait until the book is complete - name your files in the order you wish them to be in the book (01, 07. 14, 56 etc) That way they will automatically upload in the correct order.

If you are doing a custom cover, make it your gallery image and that will make it the cover automatically. If you have a custom back cover (if you aren't doing a wrap around) wait to upload it until the bookmaker process asks for it to be uploaded. If the book is thick enough you can have the title printed on the spine - it is easiest to do that with the bookmaker rather than trying to do it before hand.
so the best thing to do would be to make a separate gallery for each child and upload pages to there instead of forum gallery
13 posts Page 1 of 2