Share ideas, layouts and resources about scrapping and memory management.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
There has always been on my Elements 4 & 5 a special icon that shows up for everything that is in a PSD. type file format
For Template Tues some of you put it in PSD form, I will save my layers in PSD form & always there is the same icon.
Now for some weird reason everthing that I have in PSD file format has got a totally different looking icon. All that are sitting in my Uzipped Folder, all that I have saved from my Photobook, all the Xmas cards I am working on.
I am worried because the only other time I have seen this type of file icon is when I have d/l something & try to open it & get message " Windows cannot open this file .It does not know which program made it ".
Can anybody figure out what is happening?
I can open all these weird icons right now but am scared what the future holds.
Thanks. Storm
storm ,where these files psd file? If so have you tried right clickig on a file and selecting properties then changing the type of file back to psd.
Storm,

Not to worry. Something has changed or removed the default program associated with the PSD files - the one that is used when you double click on the filename. Each file can be associated with only one program - in your case probably should be PSE5.

Try this

right click on anyone of the PSD files, Open With, Choose Program

You should see PSE5 in the list. Click on Choose Program (probably at the bottom), from that list select PSE5 and make sure to put a check mark in the "Always use this program . . . ." at the bottom. This will lock in PSE5 as the default program, all your icons should default to the old PSD one, etc.

Nothing to worry about, this is easily done and changed if you make a slip-up.
John
Thank you John & Ladybug.
I tried your method first John but could not get that to work
Then I tried Ladybug's method It gave Type of file PSD underneath it said Opens with unknown application
There was a box with change so I hit that & at bottom it said other programs & listed E4 so I clicked on that
and slso checked the box Always use this program.
This worked & I have got my camera icon back but it has a rectangle shape FRAME around it with the top right hand side corner curled over.So basically it is not exactly the same.
I dont mind it looking different its that I was afraid sooner or later I would not be able to open my PSD files.Do you think it is safe now ?
Storm
Storm was adobe photoshop elements one of the choices if it was then go back and choose that one. That is what mine are set on. And always use this program to open them. If it is not on your list when you click change I clicked on browse--program files--adobe--photoshop elements 4--then i located the (camera icon) photoshop elements 4 selected it. This should make it open with pse .
Only just saw your last reply Judy.
I think I am going to leave well alone for time being .My daughter is here for a week with me so I am just going to keep working quietly on my Xmas cards as I wont get much quiet PC time .
BTW would you have a Scrap link to some free doggie things like Bones etc.?
The ideas for cards are coming thick & fast . :biggrin:
Thanks. Storm
6 posts Page 1 of 1