Share ideas, layouts and resources about scrapping and memory management.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I feel silly that I don't know how to do this. But I have downloaded all kinds of GREAT photo masks from blogs and also purchased some from digi shops. Now I want to use one and I kind find instructions. Can anyone help me with the basic instructions on using a photo mask?

thanks ahead
Angela, not knowing what they look like it is hard to be specific. Some of the ones I have you just put on top of your picture and change the blend mode (multiply) I think. Test out the blend modes.Can you send a link to one so that I can give it a try and get back to you.
Are they the ones that are like black shapes or black border effects? When I've used that type of thing I put it on it's own layer in a psd, then group with previous to do a clipping mask to combine it with my photo. Hmmm, I guess it depends on if you want the mask to delete parts of your photo or show parts of your photo. As suzi says, an example would help us help. :)

Courtney
I thought I'd already posted this once, but if it's the black border kind of mask, there are tutorials here:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/freedownloads/l/blframesmain.htm

If it's the black shape kind of mask, I just group it with the picture as a clipping mask - but after seeing the grayscale application of the borders above, I'm guessing there's a better way...
Angela, here is a screen shot to illustrate what Courtney is talking about.
Photo Shape Clipping Mask.jpg
Photo Shape Clipping Mask.jpg (145.55 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Put your "shape" on a layer below your image. It is filled with any solid color. Group your image with that shape layer. The shape then becomes a clipping mask. You can use the Move Tool to resize and/or move around the shape and that will affect how much or little of your image shows.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: To Everyone

I pm'd Suzi the link because I didn't want to hot link the blog out of respect, pm me if you want a link for the photo mask ...................
the screen shot helped immensely Rusty thanks for everyone's help, and thanks for the link to the tutorial.
here is a quick sample of the photo mask I downloaded....

Attachments

Thanks for asking this question. I've really enjoyed playing with these borders!

http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1985520/49186
I have directions for using a clipping mask on my blog with a screen shot.
Scroll down a bit.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Very pretty, Angela!
Shari and Kimi - Thanks! Dawn Lee pointed out to me about your blog, but I had already posted and just did a quick mock up. The actual Xmas card took the whole afternoon because I had to get 2 kids and 2 Guinea Pigs to COOPERATE with their hats and their smiles. The clipping masks helped a lot and I downloaded the wordart from Bethany word art blog. I am happy to say the last of the cards are stamped and ready for posting later today.

Attachments

10 posts Page 1 of 1