Share ideas, layouts and resources about scrapping and memory management.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I am making a quick page and have my layered file. What I want to do is cut out the inside of the frames through the background so all I need to do is put the photos I want on a layer under the qp. That is how a qp works right? One layer that you can just plop a photo behind? I am having trouble cutting out the frames. advice please.

Tina B

goldem-qp-w.gif
goldem-qp-w.gif (103.77 KiB) Viewed 946 times
In this case I would use the polygonal lasso tool to select the inner part of the squares (or rectangles). Then cut the selection.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Tina, have you tried using the magic wand inside of the frame? I am not sure that I understand exactly what you are trying to do.
What I want to do if possible is to keep my layered file or do I have to flatten it to make the cutouts for the frames? When I make a selection inside the frames how do I tilt the selection to just fit in the frame. I can make a square selection but it is at the wrong angle, if I grab on to the corner to turn it the layer below it turns and messes up the whole thing.
And another scrap question is when I have many layers open and I want to move one of them, when I grab on to move it the layer under it moves instead. How do I stop that? I am very new to scrapping and have a hard time grasping on to some of this stuff.

I just don't know the right questions to ask. The scrappers we have here are so good and I feel so , well challenged.

I am not making any sense here, just talking in circles. I will fiddle with it a little more and see what I can figure out.

Tina B

Tina B
If your purpose is to offer a quick page template, I would keep my layered file unchanged for safety. I would use the command /file/duplicate... and check the flatten checkbox.

Then transform the background of the duplicate file into a normal layer:
/layer/new/new layer from background to enable transparency
Then I would use the polygonal lasso tool to select and cut as indicated in my former post. The advantage is that you have only to click on the four corners, without bothering with the tilt.
The result can be saved in png format to keep transparency in your template.

Don't forget to save the file (the duplicate command creates a copy in the PC memory, not on the hard disk)
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Talk about your brain freeze !! Of course I need to merge all the layers, and yes Michel the poly lasso tool is the one to use. I was at a total brain freeze as I sat and stared at the screen. :? Well I have it now and thanks to those who listened and tried to figure out what it was I really wanted when I didn;t even know myself.

MichelB wrote: In this case I would use the polygonal lasso tool to select the inner part of the squares (or rectangles). Then cut the selection.

:rotfl: how brain dead can one be?
Tina B
You know, I never did quick templates before... so this was a new challenge for me, and I did not find immediately a solution to your problem, even if I undertood what your were aiming at.
Michel B

Mes Galeries
Michel
You must have under stood what I wanted because you gave the correct answer that I needed. You always have the best advice for everyone here. :thanks:
Tina B
8 posts Page 1 of 1