Share ideas, layouts and resources about scrapping and memory management.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
For Christmas, I am trying to make a scrapbook of our family's genealogy for my three sons. I have all the pictures, charts, etc. What is a good source for vintage papers to be used in a genealogy book. So much of the photo books have every theme imagineable except genealogy. Even the family theme books do not have that historical feel.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.........Stoney
scrapbook of our family's genealogy for my three sons

What a great idea and wonderful gift for your children. I can't help you on a source of BG paper. I hope someone else here can.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I'm not sure what you mean by vintage paper with historical feel. Are you looking for aged and worn papers?

Courtney
Courtney and Rusty,
Thanks for your replies. I think my sons and their family will enjoy the photobook if I ever get it off the ground.
Courtney, I think I am looking for aged wrinkly looking paper and the same paper or another paper with burnt edges. My plan is to use that paper as the background and using a displacement map put say a map of the area where a descendent lived on the paper. I would vary maps with pictures of the towns, relics of the period, etc. These pages would serve as a lowered opacity backgrounds.
Then place the pictures on that page.The commercial photobooks are so bland even with the various themes they have.
Any help with sources of papers and or suggestions on what I have in mind would be appreciated.
Thanks.....Stoney
Stoney,
Scrapbookgraphics.com has a great kit for scrapbooking your family tree. The collection is called Rooted in the Past. I've attached a pic of the paper pack. You can buy each part individually or you can buy the complete bundle. You can find it all at Scrapbookgraphics. Just do a search for Rooted in the Past and you'll come up with a page of all the goodies. Good luck!

Attachments

Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
I think your 'map idea' is a good one. You could use current State Highway maps and/or there are surprisingly good quality State maps from the 1800s or very early 1900s available on the internet. Another thought would be pages from the US Census ... also available on the internet. Those could be applied via Blend Mode onto the old paper you find for your pages.

As an example, this is a crop of the 1910 Census Page showing my father, his brothers and sister and my grandparents:
dvimage.jpg
dvimage.jpg (164.75 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

I resized this for a post, the quality of the image is much, much better at a higher resolution. How well this would work depends on the penmanship of the enumerator.

Just a thought.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Stoney wrote: Courtney and Rusty,
Thanks for your replies. I think my sons and their family will enjoy the photobook if I ever get it off the ground.
Courtney, I think I am looking for aged wrinkly looking paper and the same paper or another paper with burnt edges. My plan is to use that paper as the background and using a displacement map put say a map of the area where a descendent lived on the paper. I would vary maps with pictures of the towns, relics of the period, etc. These pages would serve as a lowered opacity backgrounds.
Then place the pictures on that page.The commercial photobooks are so bland even with the various themes they have.
Any help with sources of papers and or suggestions on what I have in mind would be appreciated.
Thanks.....Stoney

Hi Stoney,

I think your ideas are very good and will create a fine photo book. I thought finding crinkled aged paper would be easy; I know I've downloaded similar things. But my searches haven't really turned up much after all. Searching is the hard part, I know what you want is out there.

I've downloaded these aged looking papers, and they are free:
http://princess-of-shadows.deviantart.c ... s-79040200

To get a crinkled, wrinkled texture, I would do it yourself if you can't find one online. Just fold and crumple up a piece of paper, smoothe it out, and then either photograph it or scan it. Blend it in to add the texture to your background paper.

Here's a paper with burnt edges, although you may get better results doing the burning yourself and photographing or scanning.
http://edlyshideout.spaces.live.com/blo ... !165.entry

You'll have to show us one of your pages when you get one done!

Courtney
Suzi i must agree shadowhouse creations is one of my favorite sites. He is so nice to share his awesome creations.
Julie, you nailed it with the "Rooted in the Past" paper. I found it interesting that the designer, in the description of that paper, stated she designed the paper to fill a void in genealogy themed papers.
Courtney, the devianart and edlyshideout sites, and Suzi, the shadowhousecreation and flickr sites, also have exactly what I am thinking of using. The earth tones of these papers will add a richness and vintage look to the book.
Rusty, the census form is an idea I had not thought about. I like it.
I have been looking at sources for the photobook and Picaboo seemed to offer more design and composition variations than the others I saw. Have any of you dealt with Picaboo or feel strongly about another company?
Needless to say, the help and interest all of you have shown me is greatly appreciated.
As a side, this 70+ ol' man took up bridge late in life. Read book after book on how to play bridge until my wife hid the books and said, "Until you pick up the cards you will never learn how to play bridge." Well now, she is waiting with great anticipation of seeing a rather professionally composed photobook. Hope she is not disappointed; she is still trying to understand the Stoney Method of Playing Bridge.
Again, thanks to all of you for your help.
Stoney
18 posts Page 1 of 2