For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
19 posts Page 2 of 2
I have a couple of questions Russ ........ I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. How do you get your feet to stay put on the surf board ............. 99% of the surfers use surf wax. Back when I started surfing in 1957 we all used the same type of wax that our mothers and grandmothers used when they made jam and jelly to seal the jars - paraffin wax. Paraffin wax was extremely hard which made it difficult to rub on a surfboard; however, it was the only option. Because it was so hard to rub onto a surfboard most surfers melted it and dripped it on their boards. In the 60s a famous surfer of that era [Mike Doyle] developed a wax that was made exclusively for surfboards. Surf wax is soft and rubs on boards easily so melting it is no longer necessary. Surf wax is made differently for different areas where the water is warmer or colder depending on the area and time of the year. Warm water wax is hard - cold water wax is soft. Doyle was not only a surfer he was what is known as an all around waterman. I highly recommend reading his book "Morning Glass".

http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Glass-Adv ... 0962941824

I would think it would be slippery with the water ................. Without wax it would be.

2. Why do some surfers surf left to right and others surf right to left? Is there a reason why ............ Yes, there are a few reasons. Surfers who's skills aren't all that good can surf better going in a certain direction so they almost always surf in that direction. Average to above average surfers are able to surf [almost] equally good going either way so they go the direction that will give them the best/longest ride. There are surf locations that waves only break in one direction. The most famous California spot is known as Rincon. In the photo below you can see why people surfing there only go right.

Surfers who make their living by surfing [almost always] go either direct equally well. In contest surfing surfers go in the direction that will give them the most points.

3. Have you ever encountered a shark in your surfing adventures .............. I know there have been sharks under me and on all sides from time to time; however, I have only actually seen one once. On that occasion I was surfing with a friend about 10 miles south of California's Point Conception. We were surfing, in my opinion, the best wave in California - It's known as "Rights and Lefts" - the only way to get there, at that time, was by boat. When we saw a 15 foot blue shark cruising in and around the surf break we left the water ASAP. The trouble we had was we were on shore and had to get back to the boat. We gave the shark an hour then we paddled back to the boat as fast as possible.
Russ,
Mike's book sounds interesting, I've placed it in my wish list. The next time I place an order I'll put it my cart. I always try to find a few things so I don't have to pay for shipping lol I think I will enjoy his book.

The photo you posted clearly shows why you would have to surf right to left. I wasn't sure if it was the way the waters broke (? is that the right term /) or if it was preference. Now I know!

Do you have to wax your board everytime you go out or just occasionally? Thanks to you we're all learning some interesting surfing information! Thank you, I am enjoying your photos, pictures and stories.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
tnjewels wrote: Russ,
Mike's book sounds interesting, I've placed it in my wish list. The next time I place an order I'll put it my cart. I always try to find a few things so I don't have to pay for shipping lol I think I will enjoy his book.

The photo you posted clearly shows why you would have to surf right to left. I wasn't sure if it was the way the waters broke (is that the right term) or if it was preference. Now I know!

Do you have to wax your board everytime you go out or just occasionally? Thanks to you we're all learning some interesting surfing information! Thank you, I am enjoying your photos, pictures and stories.

Julie, I was very impressed with MIke's book. Mike and I are about the same age and I've been a fan of his for 50 to 60 years.

I posted that picture because it's an extreme example of a right breaking wave - one that requires a surfer to go in one direction only. Of all the surf spots in California, there are only a few that break in that manner; however, the ones that do are considered by most surfers to be the best waves. You are correct when you say surfers go one way or the other because of their preference.

Your waxing question: I have 6 boards. Three I use wax and three I don't. On the boards with wax I do wax everytime - just a light coat on top of what is already there. After a few months the wax gets dirty and needs to be removed. Then a new coat is rubbed on. For the three boards that I don't use wax on they have different materials - one has a black rubber surface. The other two have a clear coat that would remind you of fine sandpaper. All three of those boards are used in the winter when we wear wetsuits. Using them in the summer months [without a wetsuit] would remove sections of skin.
Russ,
How cold does the Pacific off California get in the winter months? I was in California twice, once during the summer of 1974 and in April 1998 or 1999. Springtime in California, when the orange trees are blossoming is one of my favorite flower smells :)

I use to love those beach movies in the 60's. One of my favorites was Gidget .... that's why I named one of my Yorkies Gidget.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
tnjewels wrote: Russ,
How cold does the Pacific off California get in the winter months? I was in California twice, once during the summer of 1974 and in April 1998 or 1999. Springtime in California, when the orange trees are blossoming is one of my favorite flower smells :)

I use to love those beach movies in the 60's. One of my favorites was Gidget .... that's why I named one of my Yorkies Gidget.

My replies are only valid for the part of CA that I live in {SoCal]. NoCal waters are a lot colder.

In the winter the water can get as low as the high 40s; however, it those days are rare. February is typically the coldest month for water temps and averages in the mid to high 50s. Average water temps in the summer months are in the high 60s with a few days in the mid 70s.

Springtime in CA is a wonderful time of the year with the wildflowers and waterfalls in Yosemite - to name a few.

Those beach movies from the 60s were fun, and at the same time, pretty stupid. The movie Gidget is blamed for the explosion in the number of surfers who took up the sport and made surf spots very crowded.
Anyone following this thread might enjoy the slide show and written material on the link below.

There's a short 15 second commercial before the slide show starts.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/north ... nia_61280/
If anyone would like to see a surfer ride the most dangerous wave in the world [not only my opinion] open the link below. BTW: he makes the wave - no wipe out.

There's about 30 seconds of stuff before the wave comes on.

http://www.surfline.com/surflinetv/sixt ... nder_61330
Wow he did stay on the board ... I love watching these videos of surfing but I don't think I'd ever have the courage to try it on my own LOL Thanks for the link Russ. :thanks:
Julie

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
Julie, you're welcome.

Yes, he did stay on the board but don't ask me how he did it.
19 posts Page 2 of 2