For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
The beginning of this weekend really started off bad....computer wise. First off, I had to change the anti-virus program on the 'puters. The Vista laptop went off without a hitch. The Win7 desktop was something else..... The free download failed twice. And to top it off I had to use the go-back utility twice.
Then the issues with PS CS4....It stopped working all together. On the last system restore(go-back) I got it to work somewhat. I still get a warning that the video drivers need to be updated. Performance in the Preferences is grayed out. No biggie since I don't do any open GL work. I did update the video drivers and that's when CS4 quit working. I tried to find a source of help on the Adobe site and it told me to do what I had already done....which didn't work. I hope the rest of the weekend goes better. BTW Win7 is supposed to be an upgrade to Vista....not to sure about that.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Been there and done that. That's why I changed to an iMac machine.

Good luck. I hope things come together for you soon.
BTW Win7 is supposed to be an upgrade to Vista....not to sure about that.

Heard too many bad things about Vista, so never upgraded to it. Went from XP PRo to Win7 as soon as it came out and have not regretted it one bit. MS seems to screw up every other OS update, so I doubt I'll go to Win8 when it comes out. When you are are updating drivers, make sure you are using drivers that are Win7 compatible, otherwise they may not work.

iMac??? fuggedaboudit!!! :rotfl:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Here's the scary part,Gene. I went to the manufacturer's web site to download the latest drivers and after installing them things got worse...go figure? Going back to the original drivers, my computer reported that the original drivers were the best for the unit and was operating correctly. These were the ATI video drivers. I don't dare call customer support....if the problem isn't listed in their book, there won't be any resolution to the problem. I could write a book about bad customer support. I'm just glad CS4 is back to almost 100%.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
genevh wrote:
iMac??? fuggedaboudit!!! :rotfl:

I'm not sure what you mean by fuggedaboudit.

I will say that I went from an XP machine that worked great for about 12 months. Then, as time passed, it's started having one thing after another go wrong. I finally gave up and switched to an iMac machine that has been trouble free for over 4 years.
genevh wrote:
iMac??? fuggedaboudit!!!
I'm not sure what you mean by fuggedaboudit.

You know?, talking about 'puters is like jawing about whether a Nikon is better than a Canon or better than an Olympus.

If you are happy with something you have ... good. God bless you. Stick with it and stay happy.

I have used MS for over 30 years ... I'm happy. I like it. I have never had a problem.
Does that mean I'm good? -No
I'm smart? -No
Lucky? -No

If it works, don't fix it.

But, don't try to tell me that that what works for you is obviously better that what I use just because it's 'yours' and, thus, must be better.

iMac??? fuggedaboudit!!!

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I don't dare call customer support....if the problem isn't listed in their book, there won't be any resolution to the problem.

I do tech support, and unfortunately you run into too many that don't know much (if anything) beyond their book of scripts. Even in our troubleshooting manuals, too many solutions are "Call your next level of support." Guess what - I AM the next level of support in a lot of cases and the book is no help at all. Thank goodness I am a bit better trained than that, but I need to go my next level of support maybe 20% of the time.

And personally, just for the record, I really don't have anything against Macs. Again, its the old Nikon vs Canon, Ford vs Chevy argument. They all will do the job, it just depends on whichever you like better. My only real experience with MACs was using a virtual MAC desktop riding on top of a Unix workstation. Hated it because it didn't work all that well. I've been building my own PCs now for years and taking care of them. Yes, I have had viruses a couple of times (twice in over 10 years of computing), but I try to be careful and keep things updated all the time. So, for me anyway, I have not had any reason to switch. Nor would I really try to talk anyone out of switching (either way) if they wanted to.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
7 posts Page 1 of 1