For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
Yesterday we decided to hit the mall in Florence, AL. At the last minute I grabbed my camera to take with. As we were driving south I look up in the sky and see this prism rainbow like spot in the sky. There was no rain for miles and even if there was, the sun was just to the left of photo, not behind me. I posted the pic on Facebook on our weatherman's page, I'm hoping that he will have an explanation for me as to what it is :)

DSC_0926c.jpg
DSC_0926c.jpg (146.13 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
I wonder if it's the sun reflecting off ice crystals. It sure is pretty.
Julie... I think they call the flare (sun dogs)....????

George
"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle."James Kelly
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19724 George's Gallery
There must have been a bit of moisture in that spot. Very neat! It sure showed up nicely in your photo. :thumbsup:

Courtney
It is trying to be a rainbow me thinks. I love it however it came to be.
Sun dogs (parhelions) are made when the sun's light is refracted through clouds containing ice crystals. The angle has to be just right for this to occur. The same thing occurs when you see a halo around the sun or moon. Thanks Wikipedia.....
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Nice photo, you just never know when you will find something great to take a photo of.
Tina B
You're right Chas ... I posted it to Facebook on our weatherman's page and this is what he said:

Ben Luna
Julie, this is a beautiful picture! The clouds where the rainbow is appearing are very high clouds made of tiny ice crystals. The crystals are acting as a prism scattering the light into the upper air rainbow. That also indicates very cold upper air over the area. This will go down as one of my favorite weather pictures.
Julie
The kindness one does for an animal may not change the world. BUT, it will change the world for that one animal.

Nikon D7000, CS4, Lightroom 4

Flickr Account
PrestoPhoto Gallery
Great capture!!

I caught one of those when I was taking some sunset pictures at the Outer Banks last year. It's the first one I ever remember seeing:

20100925 0001 Outer Banks NC-2 by GeneVH, on Flickr
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Wow, Gene! What interesting clouds and a beautiful rainbow sun-dog thingy. :)

Courtney
15 posts Page 1 of 2