For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Scott Kelby has sent an open letter to Adobe Inc. about their forthcoming pricing structure. It seems Adobe wants owners of CS4 and CS3 versions to upgrade to CS% before they will allow you to purchase CS^ when it becomes available. Talk about a bad move by Adobe. Scott fears that CS3 andCS4 owners won't go for the Adobe "daily double". Now that I'm on a fixed income ,I surely can't afford to buy another version of Photoshop, at least not now. Sounds like Adobe is playing for their high priced customers who have deep pockets. You can read Scott's open letter to Adobe on his blog site.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thanks for the news, Chas. Do you have a link, which might provide more info?
I was planning to upgrade from CS3 soon anyway, but would be interested to see more about Adobe's current decision.
(Amazon is offering an upgrade to CS5 for $139. )
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Chas thanks for the information. Betty love the new avatar.
I actually found out about this on the plugin site. I clicked on the link and it took me to Scott Kelby's open letter to Adobe.BTW If Adobe does go through with this bad business decision, CS4 will be my last version ever of Photoshop. I don't have a link for this but I guess you could Google Scott Kelby.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
open letter from Scott Kelby:
Dear Adobe:

As president of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) I represent more than 70,000 Photoshop users around the world. However as I’m writing this open letter to you today, I would say that most of our 70,000 members have no idea about the upgrade policy changes you just announced, or about how these changes will affect them.

From the information I’ve gathered, it appears to me that this new upgrade policy for the next version of Adobe Photoshop and the Creative Suite (presumably called CS6) will leave a significant number of your customers with no affordable upgrade path to Photoshop CS6 or the Creative Suite.

It’s my understanding that when the next version of Photoshop and the Creative Suite is released, if you do not already own Photoshop version CS5 or CS5.5 (or the 5 or 5.5 Creative Suite):

(a) You will not be eligible to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 (or the CS6 Creative Suite). Instead the only way to get Photoshop CS6 at that point will be to repurchase the entire product again at its full price (presumably $699 US). If you’re a CS4 Creative Suite User, you’ll have to buy the entire suite all over again to move to CS6.

(b) For Photoshop CS4, or CS3 users, their only real option is to pay to upgrade now to CS5.5 (though you are offering a 20% upgrade discount upgrade until the end of the year), and then to pay again to upgrade when Photoshop CS6 is released, or sign up for your new monthly subscription plan.

While I understand that Adobe needs to make business decisions based on how it sees market conditions, I feel the timing of this new pricing structure is patently unfair to your customers (and our members). Here’s why: You didn’t tell us up front. You didn’t tell us until nearly the end of the product’s life cycle, and now you’re making us buy CS5.5 for just a few months on the chance that we might want to buy CS6 at a discount when it’s released. Otherwise, we have to pay the full price as if we were never Adobe customers at all.

Those users who didn’t upgrade to CS5 or 5.5, either couldn’t afford the upgrade, or couldn’t justify the upgrade, or they would already be on CS5 or 5.5. But now you’re kind of holding us hostage—–you’re making us buy something we don’t need now, just so we will still have the option to get something that we may want (CS6) when it is released without buying it all over again from scratch. You’re playing hardball with your customers—either upgrade twice or you’re out. That’s not the Adobe we know.

I have always felt that Adobe was very customer centric, and that their decisions were based on what’s best for their customers, but in this particular instance I can’t see how cutting off CS4 and CS3 users, and making them either pay two upgrades in a row, or pay the full retail price to get CS6, benefits anybody but Adobe.

With that said, here’s my plea to Adobe:
If you really want to be fair to your customers, at the very least don’t start this policy yet. Start it with Photoshop CS7. Make CS6 your new upgrade pricing transition version, and tell everybody now, up front—–at the start of the product’s life cycle, that everybody will need to upgrade to CS6 at some point because the next version (CS7) won’t support older users. That way, we’re not spending money just to spend more money again. Adobe, you can still have what you want—-you can still get everybody on the current version, but it gives us time to save, time to plan, and anybody still left behind at that point will have had more than fair warning.

Another option I feel would be very fair to Adobe customers would be to offer a tiered upgrade which rewards your best customers (customers who upgraded to CS5 or 5.5) by giving them the best upgrade deal, but then offer CS4 users a reasonable upgrade path (they would pay more for their upgrade, but they’re getting all the features added in CS5.5 as well, so that’s fair) and then why not even offer an upgrade path to CS6 for your CS3 users? They would certainly wind up paying the most in upgrade fees, but at least it wouldn’t be the full $699 (or even more if they’re on the CS3 suite). This tiered approach gives everybody an opportunity to stay on as an Adobe customer, but still gives your best customers preferential upgrade pricing.

I know, Business is business…
I understand that Adobe is not in business to be our friend or our buddy. Adobe is a public corporation with a responsibility to its employees, partners and shareholders to continually generate and grow profits. We don’t buy Adobe products because we think they’re our friend—we buy Adobe products because you make amazing products and tools for creative people like us. You have the right to charge $5,000 for the Creative Suite if you want, and likewise we have to make decisions based on what’s right for us and our business.

I also know that the clearest message you can send any company is not to buy their product and I am not suggesting in any way that we intentionally don’t buy Adobe products, but I am afraid for many people, including many of the Photoshop users I represent, that will be the case. Photoshop CS4 will wind up being their last version of Photoshop ever, and I for one would hate to see that happen. I think that would be a lose/lose for everybody.

Adobe, it’s not too late
You can still fix this. You can stand by your customers and make CS6 the “Transition upgrade”—-the one where going into it from the start ,everybody will know that after CS6 there will be a new upgrade policy. That way you don’t leave anybody behind that wants to stay with you. Nobody can say you pulled a fast one on them at the last minute, or didn’t give them reasonable notice about the next upgrade. You never go wrong by doing the right thing.

Thanks for listening, Adobe.

All my best,

-Scott Kelby
President, The National Association of Photoshop Professionals
Betty
I tried to include this link in the above reply, but it was "forbidden"
http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2011/archives/22903
response to his letter: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4046584

Thanks again for bringing this info to us, Chas.
As a CS3 owner, I am concerned. I had planned to upgrade to CS5 for a long time --- just haven't done so yet. ---- had not planned to upgrade after CS5 for about 3 years.

An alternative for those who want to bail out of the Adobe bind:
http://www.serif.com/photoplus/photoplusx5.asp
I recently purchased Serif Photoplus x4, which is being cleared out now for an incredibly low cost. I haven't used it yet, so I can't say how closely it compares with Photoshop full version. I was pleased to know that Topaz & other filters work with the program. If anyone is interested in checking out the Photoplusx4 price, please pm because I am being 'forbidden' to include the sale link in this reply box.
Betty
Merry Christmas from Adobe....:( It's the gift that keeps giving.....although I'm not sure I like where they're giving it to us!
Chas
P.S. If this comes true God only knows what Adobe will do to Elements......?
Chas's Gallery
7 posts Page 1 of 1