For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a Q about using Windows Explorer when viewing files on the hard drive.

Within Windows Explorer, if I selected the Details view option I always had File Type as one of the sort options across the top bar. It's gone ... this is what I now see:
Windows Explorer.jpg
Windows Explorer.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 706 times

How do I get File Type to reappear as a sort option ?????

I'm placing all the blame for this on Courtney. She was doing something within Windows Explorer last night so it must be all her fault!

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
In Win XP Explorer I go to the' View' menu (on the main menu bar), drop down to find 'Arrange Icons By' flyout menu, then select 'Type'.

I hope this is the info you are looking for.

I had to redo this reply 4 x in order to get it past the 'forbidden' cop.

The confusion must have been caused by a departing dirty trick by Courtney :)
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Right click on the menu bar in the Windows Explorer window itself (the bar where the files are, not the bar across the very top of the window!). This will bring up a menu with all sorts of options. The ones that are checked are the ones that show up.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Rusty,

Not knowing what OS of Windows you have, but the way that I get the extensions to show up is to go to
Tools -> Folder Options (see picture below for rest) and UNCHECK 'Hide extensions for known files.' I hope this helps.

:wave:
Dane
-------------------------------------
Knight Reflections

My Flickr, not the horse
-------------------------------------
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
Right click on the menu bar in the Windows Explorer window itself

Got it. That's it; exactly what I wanted.

It's all Courtney's fault. That's what happens when rotten kids use your 'puter!

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
It's all Courtney's fault. That's what happens when rotten kids use your 'puter!

I'd say only give her guest privileges from now on, but that probably wouldn't have stopped her from pulling that one! The last one to mess up my PC was my 12 year old grandson. Reset all the icons on my desktop to super huge. I'm not that blind!!!!

Glad I could help.......
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Hey now! No fair slandering me while I'm on the road! Hmmph. I did nothing to your computer, dad. :saint: In fact, I hate when file extensions don't show up and I was going to change yours so they DO show up, but I believe I was getting rushed by DH to hurry up and get the files copied and I couldn't remember right then how to display the extensions. A gremlin must be responsible. :D

Courtney
Definitely the Windows Gremlins! :rotfl:
John
8 posts Page 1 of 1