For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Looks like I'll be in the market for a new printer-other than Epson. I just got off their customer service site and they informed me that my printer is nearing it's useful life. Is there a fix? Sure, buy a new printer. Who would have thought that ink pads replacement costs as much as a new printer. Looks like I'll NOT buy another Epson printer. I guess that's my seasons greetings from Epson.......show us your cash.....NOT! Sorry for the rant.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
I don't remember who it was ... I heard somebody on the radio refer to printers as "ink delivery systems".

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Or "cash removal systems." :rotfl:

I have a Canon MX870 that I bought refurbed a couple of years ago for about $80. Very affordable off brand ink is available for it on Ebay and Amazon. I recycle the ink cartridges at Staples and get back about 4 times their cost in store credits, which pays for paper and more.

For my purposes, this is a great deal and a great printer. It prints very well using the cheap ink. Probably wouldn't please a pro or someone with a highly critical eye, but I print and frame pix all the time and am very satisfied.
Chas,

I have no proof, but I don't think the other printer brands will be any different than Epson. Maybe there is one maverick, I don't know. But I am in a freecycle online community (free-cycle means you give stuff away instead of throwing it away) and many people give away their printers because of the situation you're in. I think it's awful to make something so big that is essentially disposable.

I've wondered about those generic ink refills Irv mentioned. I'd be willing to give them a try, especially for every-day printing.

Courtney
This same guy that referred to printers as nothing more than "ink delivery...", espoused his money saving idea of simply trashing your printer and getting a new one when ink ran dry. He claimed that the big box stores always had a printer on sale as a door buster item. He was supposedly always able to find one "on special" for around fifty of sixty bucks.

So, need ink? Just buy a new printer (it comes with ink) and give the old one away. ('course, this fellow isn't a photographer, he doesn't care what the print looks like ... just get a b&w image of some text)

I have been buying my ink from Cartridge World for several years now. I was apprehensive at first ... never had a bit of a problem and it's about 1/3d (or less) of the Canon/Epson brand-name price in the big-box stores.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCax0mqIAOs
check this out and see if it might help rest the Epson to keep on printing.
Tina B
Thanks Tina. As they say across the pond, I'll give it a go....:)
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Just an update.....the website that Tina posted was of no help for my printer issues. My particular printer wasn't listed on the site.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Chas i had an old Epson that i loved. But when i got a new computer i saw a printer that could print labels on your dvds/cds and i could not resist. It is a brother printer and i love it. Although i will say i really do not print much. I still have my Epson that never did say die. Sorry your Epson has given you the pain i think sometimes they make items they know will only last so long.
9 posts Page 1 of 1