For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Happy Boxing Day to all our friends in Canada and the United Kingdom! :toast: :toast:
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
I don't want to sound dumb but if you are you are!! What is Boxing Day? I have heard reference to it but never asked.
Tina B
Tina, and others . . .

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas - December 26th. There are several definitions, but the most common one (and the one I grew up understanding) is that on the day after, working folk for the upper class had a day off and were given "boxes" of goods (food and other treats and presents) to go home and visit their relatives. For all of my growing years, it was just a second day of visiting family and friends - most places were closed and most everyone gad the 2 days off. And the Boxing Day (now week) sales would start with the sales for clearance of Christmas goodies.

Nowadays, most retail stores are open on Boxing Day, although in many retail stores, staff are paid on an overtime basis as it is still a Holiday.

So, basically just another extended part of the Holidays and then back to work on the 27th.
John
Thanks for the history lesson. It sounds like it has evolved into another day off from work and those are always good. :woohoo:
Tina B
4 posts Page 1 of 1