For anything that doesn't quite fit into any other category.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I want to start doing photo-manipulation art and other things like that, and I'm planning to get a top-notch digital camera soon. I currently have the world's worst desktop and Dell computers seem to hate me. What should I get?
Sorry there are so many views and no answers. Likely because there is really no really definitive answer. I use a Dell xps, my daughter would swear by a Mac and most everyone else who uses a laptop would have their favorite.

My best advice is not so much the brand, but get as much RAM as you can afford (I have 8 GB and know many who have lots more than that). Most laptops now-a-days have lots of HD space.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around.
And maybe not so much a specific laptop, but features to look for.

I suggest:

1. Look for one with eSATA connectivity. eSata external hard drives have faster transfer rates, although may be getting close to USB3 ports

2. USB3 - backwards compatible and lots faster when you get faster USB devices.

3. HDMI (videa/audio) and an audio card that will support HDMI audio. Not all of them do.

4. As big a screen as you can get - bigger is better!

5. I would suggest a Core I5 or better processor or its AMD equivalent. I7 if they have it and you can afford it.

6. See if you can get a faster hard drive. SATA drives normally spin at 7K RPM, laptop ones at 5.6K RPM. On my desktop I went to a 10K RPM hard drive and got a substantial performance boost. Even better, look for a solid state fast drive option.

If you are interested in video performance, a separate video card with 500Mb to 1Gb memory. Not really a necessity for photo editing, but does for movies/games, etc.
John
John, Not sure if the original poster ever came back but...I found your info useful. Took my laptop in to have the fan cleaned and was told the hard drive is failing. I have a new one on order following your specs (except I forgot about the SATA...it does have 2 USB3 ports though as well as 1 USB2.

So :thanks:
I'm glad to see somebody got some use out of this thread. I don't think this poster cares anything about an answer to his Q. He's had several such posts that he has never followed up on.

I think all he cares about is getting his "coolest gadgets" link out there.

I have deleted his other posts when I see them.

Ruaty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Tennie,

Gotta love new toys. Enjoy the new "toy".

Rusty,

Good to know that. Keeps the wolf from the door!
John
6 posts Page 1 of 1