Got a link to a site that will further enhance your Elements experience? Post it here!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I have seen several links to get free downloads / brushes - plug ins. I am brand new to PSE 5/6. How do we know if it's safe to download? What do the plug ins do? I havn't downloaded anything yet. What are the basics that I should be sure to get?
mkctlc2001 wrote: I have seen several links to get free downloads / brushes - plug ins. I am brand new to PSE 5/6. How do we know if it's safe to download? What do the plug ins do? I havn't downloaded anything yet. What are the basics that I should be sure to get?

As far as trusting dowloads I'm not sure. I haven't had a problem so far.
If you choose to download files here is where you download, files ending in
.abr go in the Brushes folder; .aco in the Color Swatches folder; .csh in Custom Shapes; .grd in Gradients
.pat in Patterns; .asl in Styles

If you do download, always make sure Elements is closed before installing in Elements

For instance, if you are downloading brushes, after the file has finished downloading (it will probably be a zipped file), right click on the file and you should see an option on your menu such as "Extract" or "Unzip" or "Winzip" and by clicking on one such option, it should lead you through the steps to unzip the file. Then move or copy the unzipped brush file (which should have an .ABR extension) to this location:
My Computer/Local Disk C/Program Files/Adobe Photoshop Elements [your version]/Presets/Brushes

If you don't know how to copy the brush file, right click on the unzipped brush file, choose Copy from the menu, then go to the Brushes folder as above, right click in a blank space in that folder and choose Paste.

Then restart Elements and your new brush should be in the dropdown of brushes to select in the Brush options bar.

As far as what the plugins do, well, you can download different brushes, fonts, textures, filters or patterns that are not in Elements already. I choose not to download a lot because I probably wouldn't use half of them anyway. A lot folks likes a lot of choices when it comes to fonts. Some like different textures, totally up to you.
when I try to folllow your links for brushes I just get a screen that says my time has expired. What is that? anyone know.
Tina B :geek:
4 posts Page 1 of 1