Got a link to a site that will further enhance your Elements experience? Post it here!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
here you go:
http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/ ... p_make.htm

As a matter of fact, using gradient maps instead of curves is more than a simulation. It does exactly the same math transformation. The main difference is in the user interface. Instead of tweaking a curve, you change the look of the gradient. The other important thing to keep in mind is that your gradient map adjustment layer should be in luminosity mode: you do not change the colors.

To summarize: you choose the black to white gradient in the gradient swatch and set your adjustment layer in luminosity mode. (It's the 3rd from left)

There are many advantages to use this technique in Elements. If you are not dealing with colours, you get the same flexibility and precision than with curves. As a matter of fact, it becomes much more intuitive than curves when you are used to it. The big advantage of adjustment layers is obvious: you can use the adjustment layer mask.

Do you use the threshold adjustment layers? Most of the time, you'll find it lacks flexibility. With a gradient map, you can be much more precise AND soften the transition from black to white, which is much more precise than blurring the threshold layer.

Suggestions for your next home work:
- define the equivalent gradient to a default threshold, but with softening (or feathering around the limit)
- define a black and white gradient to show or mask middle greys (let's say from 47 to 53% luminosity).
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel - thanks for reminder of how useful b/w gradients & gradient maps are. I read about their use as a curves substitute in Mark Galer's "Maximum Performance for Elements", but had forgotten the good info.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Thanks for the link and instructions, Michel. I created my own curves gradient map and when I used it on another photo, it was kind of weird... it seemed to remember some of the layers I had in the photo I had been editing when I created it and they showed up on the layers stack. When I moved the gradient map adjustment layer to the top of the layer stack, they went away.

Courtney
Courtney,
I am not sure I understand what you are doing. The gradient map adjustment layer should be either on top of the layer stack so that the effect is applied to your previous edits, or linked (grouped) with a given layer if you want the effect applied only to the layer it is grouped with. It would be the same with a curves adjustment layer of the full photoshop or from an add-on.

As I said before, curves or gradient map adjustment layer (in luminosity mode) are only different interfaces to transform the luminosity of each pixel. Depending on your acquaintance with those two tools, you'll find one or the other more intuitive.

Whether you want to be curative or creative, the difficult part of editing may be more the diagnosis of what should be done and the altered look you are after rather than the tools to achieve you goal. The above tools have an effect on luminosity (tones) rather than color. The advantage of gradient map adjustment layers is that in normal mode, you are seeing a greyscale image, which is much better to evaluate the luminosity contrast in highlights, midtones and shadows. Once you are happy with the B&W result, you can set the layer mode to luminosity.

For old timers used to B&W darkroom processes like me, it is easier to find what should be changed in the tones curves. For beginners, the 'color curves' of PSE is like the 'scenes' modes in your camera: you first describe the effect you want, and the software shows you the right type of the curve shape. Likewise, the tones gradient strip in the gradient map is more intuitive than the shape of a given curve;
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
4 posts Page 1 of 1