Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
This was a tut that I posted a long time ago, over there, and thought I'd bring with me to share with those who are newer to the community.

1. I started out by adjusting the levels on the original photo.
2. Then I duplicated the layer and set the top layer to multiply.
3. I did a "merge visible" layer, and on it I did Filter>Adjustment>Posterize and a Filter>Texturize>Craquelure.
4. I set my foreground/background colors to a blue and an orange from the photo; then created a new layer and used the gradient tool, set to difference, to make an eye-pleasing combination of blues, oranges, and greens (which appeared as a result of dragging the gradient tool several times on the layer). Be SURE you have the tool set to Difference.
5. Afater I was happy with the colors in the gradient layer, I set this layer to multiply.
6. Again I did a "merge visible" layer, and added lighting (Filter>Render>Lighting Effedcts, using omni light setting)
7. I duplicated this layer and set the upper one to "overlay" mode.
8. Finally, I added more texture with Filter>Texturize>Craquelure.

Don't be afraid to experiment some on this one. Sometimes I've tried different blend modes, for instance, on the gradient layer or on the layer with the light effect. On the top layer, I've also, sometimes, zoomed way in, used the magic wand to select a color that was not very prevalent in the image, moved the selection to a new layer, and did a "snappers gold" layer style on it. You can't really see the gold, but when you turn that layer off, the image loses some of its shimmer.

Here's an example of how it turns out.
cattails.jpg
(141.43 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
That is an awesome image! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Awesome photo with that effect! Thanks for the tut! I didn' have that one in my book.
thanks so much i cant wait to try this one.
Be sure you post them here after you try the tut. I might do a new one, as well, since it's been quite awhile since I did one of these. They are fun.
Thanks for sharing the tut. The image is so cool using that technique.

John
linda, kinda got lost in a couple of areas, On the filters do you know the setting that worked for you. I was totally guessing, and when the tutorial said merge all visable layers, i got lost because they were all always visable , i must have missed something, although i did get an interesting effect , no where near as beautiful as you mine turned out more abstract, any suggestions where i went wrong would help.
Hi Linda - Thanks for re-posting this tutorial. When I first saw this tut on the other site, I tried it with the following result. I was really happy with the finished product. Now that I have the instructions again, I can try another. Thanks for sharing the technique.

Attachments

[size=150][b][color=#4000BF]Linda[/color][/b][/size]
[url=http://www.tootie501.blogspot.com][color=#0000BF]my blog[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/?user_id=14677]EIGHT galleries and counting...[/url]
Sorry to be checking in so late! Busy day!

Linda, yes, I remember that and I love it! Nice work.

Judy, I'm afraid I don't know the settings. When this was first posted, I just posted my picture. People wanted to know how I did it, and I did my best to come up with steps -- but I am first to admit they are sketchy.

When I say to merge visible layers, what I did was to create a new layer, and then do an Option on a Mac (would that be alt on a PC?) + Layer>Merge Visible.

Really sorry that it's not as complete as it should be. Next time I'll be more careful.
Tx for posting this, I had misplaced my copy and am glad to have it again. (the other LindaJ) :D
11 posts Page 1 of 2