Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Making a Grunge Background

If you don't already have some grunge brushes, there are many available online for free download. Here are a few links to good grunge brushes:

http://hawksmont.com/blog/photoshop-bru ... ge-part-1/
http://getbrushes.com/photoshop/grunge/ ... rushes.php
http://www.photoshopbrushes.com/brushes/11.htm
http://xbstock.deviantart.com/art/xbgrunge-03-35520285
http://www.brushes.obsidiandawn.com/set ... stains.htm

You can find many, many more by Googling Photoshop grunge brushes.

Start your background with a new blank document….File > New > Blank File…enter the dimensions and resolution you want your paper to be.

Create a new blank layer and fill it with a color...Edit > Fill Layer...choose a color.

Add some noise….Filter > Noise > Add Noise – about 5%

Get the Dodge tool. This tool is nested with the Sponge and Burn tool. If you don’t see it, right click on the icon square directly above the Foreground/Background color chips.

Assuming you have downloaded and installed some grunge brushes, open the brush picker menu and select a grunge brush. I used one of Hawksmont’s grunge brushes.

After picking your grunge brush with the Dodge tool, resize the brush to a large size, and in the options bar, set the Dodge tool Range to Midtones, and Exposure to about 20%.

Stamp and stroke around on your color layer to lighten areas here and there. You can change the brush to a different shaped grunge brush and continue lightening until you like it.

Now get the Burn tool, which is in the same set of tools, set it to Midtones and about 35% Exposure, and use it with different grunge brushes to darken areas as you wish, by stroking and stamping over the layer.

Note: In addition to using grunge brushes, you can use other shape brushes with the Dodge and Burn tool to lighten or darken with different shapes if you like.

Create a new blank layer above the color layer to start adding more grunge.
Grunge_Background_1.jpg
(55.25 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

Get the Brush tool and select a dark grey or black Foreground color.

Using grunge or other types of brushes of your choice, lower the Opacity a little and start stamping or stroking on the blank layer to get the effects you want for your background.

You can paint with different brushes on several new blank layers using dark or light colors if you like, then lower the opacity of the layers where the effect is too bold.

If you get an effect on one layer you don’t like, just drag it to the trash bin in the layers palette and start with a new blank layer.

My final grunge background:
Grunge_Background_2.jpg
(63.22 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Diana

Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.

~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ WinXP ~ PSE 5.0 ~ Pro Show Gold ~ Photoshop 6.0 ~
Diana.. is that you? Countrygirl?

The same Diana that played with me in that thread?
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Diana, thanks for that! I'll be digging out my grunge brushes and doing a few backgrounds, because you've inspired me :mrgreen:
kimi_boo wrote: Diana.. is that you? Countrygirl?

Yup, I couldn't use Diana as my User ID since there are many Dianas on VioVio and some time ago I had already registered with C0untrygirl at VioVio, so I'm stuck with it.
Diana

Diana, glad you are here. Love your chocolate poodle photos. We wanted one when we were dog shopping, but couldn't find what we wanted, so we got a black Schnauzer. Our reasoning for both choices was the dark tear stains wouldn't show up as badly on the darker colored dogs - crazy priorities we have, huh???
Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
c0untrygirl wrote:

Yup, I couldn't use Diana as my User ID since there are many Dianas on VioVio and some time ago I had already registered with C0untrygirl at VioVio, so I'm stuck with it.

Oh I am sooo happy it's you! Again I was lost. :oops:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Hi Suzanne,

Yeah, that's the same reason my last two poodles have been chocolate. It is hard to find the brown ones. Black would be my second choice. I love my little dog and she is so spoiled!

swalkr wrote: Diana, glad you are here. Love your chocolate poodle photos. We wanted one when we were dog shopping, but couldn't find what we wanted, so we got a black Schnauzer. Our reasoning for both choices was the dark tear stains wouldn't show up as badly on the darker colored dogs - crazy priorities we have, huh???
Diana

kimi_boo wrote:
c0untrygirl wrote:

Oh I am sooo happy it's you! Again I was lost. :oops:

Jane told me to contact support and they can probably change my userID to some form of Diana, so I did. Hopefully it will be successful.
Diana

lindajay wrote: Diana, thanks for that! I'll be digging out my grunge brushes and doing a few backgrounds, because you've inspired me :mrgreen:

Linda, hope you post some of your grunge backgrounds so we can see them.
Diana

Diana,

Thanks for the tut. I going to give a try this afternoon.

John
12 posts Page 1 of 2