Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
21 posts Page 1 of 3
This tut was used in Kimi's Homework Week #27 at PET. It was done using PSE5 but will work in other versions and in CS. Anita (Westiemom) used it in her image Eyes of Wonder.

Porcelain Effect

-Open your image and Ctrl J to duplicate the layer.
-On the duplicate layer, Ctrl U to bring up the Hue/Saturation box and slide the Saturation slider to -100, click OK
-Go to Enhance> Adjust Lighting> Increase Contrast to +10, click OK
-Create an Adjustment Layer> Levels> Channel set to RGB> Input Levels at 0,1.50,230> Output Levels at 0,255, click OK
-Merge the mask layer and desaturated layer
-Enhance > Unsharp Mask> Amount at 100%> Radius at 0.8 px, Threshold at 1 level, click Ok
-Use the Dodge tool and dodge the midtones and shadows at 30% exposure if needed (avoiding the eyes, mouth and nostrils. Also change the range of the exposure for midtones and shadows at the top of the screen.)

An additional step would be to add a feathered selection around your image to make it dreamy. To do this simply make a selection and set to Feather. The larger your feather size the more area of the photo the feathering will cover.

A variation of this tut would be to slightly reduce the opacity to let some of the color show.

All above settings can be adjusted to your taste.

Here are the images I used in Kimi's homework, my son and Kimi's daughter (hope you don't mind Kimi)
chanceporc.jpg
chanceporc.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 3068 times

kimisweet16w.jpg
kimisweet16w.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 3064 times

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
How funny - you posted this at the same time I put a reworked porcelain effect picture in my works in progress gallery. I'm trying to take Don Diego's advice and be more selective.......thus the new gallery.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Sunny, even funnier, when I was looking for the photos I posted in the homework I came across your photo you did the soft color porcelain with Allie that you let me use on a scrap page idea I had. I still love that one.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim - the one I posted is of Allie, too........just trying to do a better job of positioning her and the focus of the gradient! I also worked on a black and white of her and posted that, too.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Sunny, I just saw the b&w in the rolling gallery. :) Have you tried a tighter square crop just below the chin to keep the eyes positioned for the rule of thirds.

Had to play, even though it doesn't go with the tut
allieinfrared.jpg
allieinfrared.jpg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 3006 times

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I thought about that, but then I remember the comment about not cropping at joints, not that the chin is a joint, but you know what I mean. I did recrop it from the original......further down on her forehead. I can try the other way, too. I'll give it a try and pop it in the gallery.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Sunny, click the image and it will show the whole thing, her chin is there. I forgot to mention I used an infrared action.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Kim - I like it cropped square. I've done versions in all of Graffi's Lab B&W actions, plus the original, plus converting through layers. I think of all the B&W versions I like the Curves and Infrared best....at least for Allie's picture. That's probably enough about Allie in this thread. :D
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Hi,
I've tried this effect and am going to try posting it here.

Attachments

Es
Photoshop CC, Premiere and Elements 13
ES, how cute, nice job.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
21 posts Page 1 of 3