Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
24 posts Page 1 of 3
This is a method that I have used to create gold text. This method works great with script type. It will also work on bold text, but the effect is quite different, and not as pleasing to my tastes. This was done with PSE4

Create a new file 6" x 4" at 300ppi.
Background color of your choice.
Create script type - I used VladimirScrD in this example.
Text can be any color, I used Black.
With the Type layer selected - Wow Neon - Yellow On.
Next Wow Chrome - Shiny Edge.
Finally Drop Shadow - High.
Now it is just a matter of adjusting the layer style.
Bring Outer Glow down to 0 ~ 3 I used 2 here.
Bring Bevel to 3 or 4.
Adjust inner glow so that any gray in the center of the text disappears. This usually doesn't require much for thin text, but may require more for bold. Err on the high side. Here I set inner glow to 45.
Bring bevel back up to get an acceptable flowing shiny gold look. Here it is set at 18.
Adjust lighting angle and drop shadow distance to suit your taste. Here I used 120 degrees and 69 pixels.
Text looks great on any color background. With black, the shadow disappears, but the text really stands out.
Joe
Gold-Type-on-Green.jpg
Gold on Green
Gold-Type-on-Green.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

Gold-Type-on-Black.jpg
Gold on Black
Gold-Type-on-Black.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Nice TUT Joe... I know you made a few members here very happy with this one... :thumbsup:
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
That is really good, I know I will be using that very soon. Thank you for the tutorial
This is awesome. Cannot wait to try it out!
Many thanks.
m
Michelle
Thanks for a great tut
Janice
Janice
PSE 11, Mac with Mountain Lion
Joe_Kostoss wrote: Now it is just a matter of adjusting the layer style.
Bring Outer Glow down to 0 ~ 3 I used 2 here.
Bring Bevel to 3 or 4.
Adjust inner glow so that any gray in the center of the text disappears. This usually doesn't require much for thin text, but may require more for bold. Err on the high side. Here I set inner glow to 45.
Bring bevel back up to get an acceptable flowing shiny gold look. Here it is set at 18.
Adjust lighting angle and drop shadow distance to suit your taste. Here I used 120 degrees and 69 pixels.

Great rendition... but how do I adjust the layer style? bringing Outer glow down ?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
To adjust layer style amounts, click the little 'f' or flower or whatever the 'doddad' is for your program that indicated that layer styles are applied.
This will open up a view box with sliders to make your adjustments.
Hope this helps.
m
Michelle
Many thanks Michelle!
I am new at layer styles, and I could not find it... Such editing power I was missing! Another lesson to learn, once in the new popup window, I had a look at Adobe's help. I am ashamed I did not do it before: here the help is adequate. And many thanks to Joe to open new horizons for me...
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thank you, Joe. That really, really looks great. I can't wait to try the tutorial.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Thank you, Joe,

That's a really good one. And..... it doesn't just work on text! I had a brown frame on a picture; I wanted a gold frame. This did the trick. I had to tweak it a bit to put the frame texture back in, but it worked just fine. :D

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
24 posts Page 1 of 3