Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Make Duplicate Background (Ctrl-J)

Get your Rectangular marquee tool and make a selection of an area you would like to give the snapshot effect.

Hit Ctrl+J (Cmnd+J MAC) to copy that to a new layer.

Ctrl/Cmnd click that layer to select it again.

Go to Edit > Stroke (Outline) Selection. Change width to 70px (try this and if it turns out too wide you should Undo and try a different size. It should resemble a photographic print border.) Change the colour to White and select Inside ('Centre' and 'Outside' put a rounded corner on, which looks all wrong). Click OK.

Hide this layer, go back to the Dup Background again and repeat these steps until you have what you want - several "prints" around the image.

Remember - Make your selection in the Dup Background - Ctrl-J to dup the selection - make that new layer active - put the Stroke on.

Then Reveal all layers and mess with the layer orders to get the order you would like. You can also, by selecting each layer in turn, add some drop shadows to each frame, move (and rotate if you like) the frames a little to make them look like they're loosely laid on top, and even Duplicate any layer (click on a layer and hit Ctrl-J) and treat that as one of a stack (duplicates are best slightly hidden under their original frames).

After that, Duplicate your BG layer and do what you like with it to make it appear slightly different to the frames - e.g. blur, desaturate, change blend modes.

You could even introduce new objects in layers - I was thinking of adding pictures of a golfball, club, glove, tees etc.

Have a ball!

There is a way of making each picture bend or curl and have a shadow that matches, but I'll leave that for another day.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Thanks so much for posting this, Geoff
Thank you very much Geoff. I will enjoy playing with this tutorial. Your gallery photos are lovely as well.
Hi Geoff, I haven't posted much the past couple of weeks but have been trying to somewhat keep up with the forum. Great tutorial and image. You have posted some great tips and instructions on the forum. It would great to have you contribute something for the newsletter sometime.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Well there's an extra thing I could add to the above tutorial, giving each picture its own shadow (not just the drop shadow), so maybe I'll rewrite the tutorial to include it. The only trouble is that, while it's an 'extra' thing, it has to be done during the early steps.

Gallery
Hi thank you for sharing your knowledge I will try this at the weekend
I think the shadow effect will omprove it
Thanks once again
Pam
If you want to try the shadow effect that I mentioned, be sure to save your file as a PSD with all the layers, even if you then flatten it to save as a jpg. The shadows will rely on having the original layers available.

Gallery
7 posts Page 1 of 1