Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
53 posts Page 2 of 6
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Here is my buttercup. Thanks for a good assignment, Michel.

Attachments

Clara
Photography is an adventure; the same as life itself.
layer-mask-leaf.jpg
layer-mask-leaf.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 2206 times

I like that you can erase any mistakes by painting in white. I always used the make two layers and erase on one of them. This is much easier and less tiime consuming.
Thanks Michale for the tut
looking forward to more.
Tina B
Well, here comes the class dunce.....I need help teacher!

What does my layer stack look like? How many layers?
Original is in color, duplicate is in color, changed to b/w, then add the hue/sat adjustment mask?
Not a dunce Q at all -- until you've seen it one time, it's often hard to visualize. Here's what mine looked like:

LayerMask-How.jpg
LayerMask-How.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

I started out making two copies of my BG layer; then turned off the eyeball of the BG layer -- it's a spare in case I screw something up. The layer immediately above the BG layer, "Background copy", is turned to B&W. With that B&W layer active, I clicked the black/white circle and that creates an adjustment layer - I selected Levels (doesn't matter that much). Because i was sitting on the B&W layer, the new adjustment layer was created right above the B&W layer and just below the other color layer, "Background Copy 2".

Then you put your cursor right smack dab on the line between the adjustment layer and the top, color, layer and Alt-click. That links the two layers, you know it's happened because the top layer indents and gets a funny looking bent arrow. Now, you paint on that adjustment layer, you are painting the mask, with black. Black will hide the parts of the color layer where you paint and, thus, show the B&W layer below.

Rusty

PS - when somebody explained this to me I had to ask at least two more questions before I finally understood it all. Ask away :biggrin:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
How great, you really do have a lot more control.
Am I understanding it wrong? Rusty has four layers. Shouldn't there only be two: the background and a Hue/Sat adjustment layer with a mask, and the mask is painted black above the flower? :help:
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Reka , i am not sure about the four layers. I guess i messed up a little when doing mine . I had a background layer, a copy of background turned black and white , an adjustment layer, which i painted black on the flower so my color showed through. I goofed but it worked.
I only had three layers also, did I goof too?
Tina B
hukari wrote: Am I understanding it wrong? Rusty has four layers. Shouldn't there only be two: the background and a Hue/Sat adjustment layer with a mask, and the mask is painted black above the flower? :help:

Rusty's method is the classical (and correct) way to 'hijack' a mask from an adustment layer.
He keeps the background unchanged, which is more than advisable, it's a must...
Now, his description is perfect for the workflow, but understanding why this works is somewhat more advanced
than this first exercise for beginners.
Think of it like this:
- Forget the background (it's kept for safety)
- you want to mix two layers
- the middle adjustment layer is there to tell PSE if the pixels to be visible come from the upper or lower level

With Rusty's setup, the type of adjustment layer is indifferent. No effect. The masked (black) part of the mask and the white one are not changed.
What is very important to understand is that the upper layer is linked to the adjustment mask. The upper layer blend mode is normal, that is the pixels of the above layer will replace the values of the effect of the background copy modified by the (null) adjustment. However, the masked part will suppress the efect of the adjustment layer and its linked upper layer: the background will show through.
In this example, it is not important if the upper or lower layer is desaturated. You only have to invert the mask.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I meant to say exactly what Tina said in her post. This is so much easier than erasing because you can correct your mistakes so quickly and easily. This is a great thread.
Clara
Photography is an adventure; the same as life itself.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
53 posts Page 2 of 6