Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
24 posts Page 3 of 3
Danny,
My project is over... I was rewarded by a 'gigantesque merci' by my friends!
There will be more on adjustment layers in the next newsletter. The following exercice #3 is not yet defined, because I need to cover a few blend modes in order to illustrate how to deal separately with tones and colour. I want to keep it simple for beginners.
This exercise #2 should have a follow up with various ways to do midtones masking.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Here is another way to create a midtones mask:
- Duplicate your layer (Ctrl J)
- Desaturate the duplicate (Shift Ctrl U)
- Duplicate the duplicate (Ctrl J), invert it (Ctrl I) and set blend mode to difference.

- Stamp visible on a new layer (Ctrl Alt Shift E) to save the result, and erase the two duplicates.

The explanations lies in the difference mode. The midtones are hardly affected by the inversion: grey remains grey, the result is near black. White and blacks are both fully changed which gives near white.

You can now select your new layer (Ctrl A), and paste it into a mask as explained above.

Other ways to create the midtones mask may be:
- using a black to white gradient map, changed to : white to black to white... (my preferred)
- or an inverted bell curve (with smartcurves, Grants, Graffi, Hiddenelements...), same result
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S

Mes Galeries
Michal,

I wanted to thank you again for your layers and masks lessons.

Before I had tried many times to do an OOB without any success. I tried again last week and was able to figure it out. I am sure it was a result of having done your exercises. :thanks:

http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1029262/26513
Danny

--------------------------
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D; PSE 5; Windows XP

A brave new step:
My Flickr galleries
My much smaller but growing PrestoPhoto picts
Thanks Danny, I am always glad to get some feedback!
Michel B

Mes Galeries
24 posts Page 3 of 3