Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Many of you know about the Impressionist plug-in and have learned a lot about how to do things. There's quite a steep learning curve to it before you get what you really want - almost a whole new program to learn and I haven't got around to it yet.

I came across this tutorial for Photoshop that I've found can work quite well on PSE without too much trouble. It comes from a well-known contributor on there, and formerly of the PSE Group, called "Stevekin". I'll quote the original tutorial and put in my little workaround........

"Unfortunately, some of the artistic filters don't actually do what they say on the tin !
You need to use a combination. One method I have seen and used (and looks okay) is thus......

Open your image.
Copy it to the clipboard (memory) by going Select > Select all (Ctrl + A).
Ctrl+ C to copy to memory.
Deselect (Ctrl + D).

Now duplicate the background layer (Ctrl + J).
Set the foreground colour to a light grey (around 20-25%).
Keep the background colour white.

Go to Filter > Sketch > Chalk and Charcoal
Set the Charcoal Area to 6, the Chalk Area to 20 and the Stroke Pressure to 1.

Click on Filter > Brush Strokes > Spatter
Set Spray Radius to 10 and Smoothness to 5. Click OK

Change the blend mode of the top layer to Luminosity and flatten the file.

Here's where the copy of the original in memory comes into play !
Ctrl + V to paste the copy to its own layer and set the layer blend mode to Multiply.
Go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast. Move the Brightness to 100%
and the Contrast to around 66%
Click OK.

Go to Filter > Artistic > Underpainting.
Keep the Brush Size at 6
Set the Texture Coverage to 20
Keep the Texture as Canvas and slide the Scaling to 100% and Relief to 4
In Light Direction choose Bottom Left.
Click OK.

(here's the PSE workaround)

Now Ctrl V and add that original clipboard image again, onto another new layer..... put it in the middle of the layer stack and set the Blend Mode to Overlay. Adjust Opacity as you like - it probably needs over 80%.

Flatten (if you like) and adjust the contrast to suit you."
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Thanks for the tut, Geoff
hmmmm... I want to give this a try. :biggrin:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Here is my try:
IMG_8993imp.jpg
IMG_8993imp.jpg (223.58 KiB) Viewed 2790 times

And a 100% crop:
IMG_8993crop.jpg
IMG_8993crop.jpg (194.73 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel,
I love your result & now I really have to try this one out.
Christell
Christell's Creations

PhotoSHOP, PhotoSHOP till' you drop...

A photograph is a moment frozen in time...

PSE7 & PSE8.....Nikon D60, D200 & D300
This was a great tut Geoff. I had to redo it once because my resolution was too high and it didn't show up very well.

Suzanne

Suzanne's Gallery

"Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose." -Evan Esar 1899-1995
Yes, Suzanne, I tried it first on a pic I'd already re-sized for the web and it worked well but then tried it on a bigger image and the textures and effect got entirely lost in it. I dare say some fine tuning of the settings in those Filters - bigger contrast, strokes, relief etc. I'll see if I can come up with some differences.

First try...

http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1028768/24460

[edit] This is/was 7" x 10" @ 72dpi [/edit]

Gallery
Suzanne and Geoff,
I agree that the settings are not optimal for high res pics, that's why I had to post a small crop. The good thing is you can adapt the tut easily. I was particularly interested in the use of different standard filters with other blend modes. Common filters may have original looks with overlay or luminosity for example.
I think the choice of the starting image is important. Colorful and busy images can provide good results. I'll have to find suitable candidates.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Just tried out another modification to the process - I was looking at Noise Median for another purpose and wondered if it would help with the impressionist style.......... so I tried it as the third filter, after Brushstrokes > Spatter. Worked really well on my test. I'm wondering if it may have been better on its own layer but haven't tried that yet - I'd say it works best on that layer that has the chalk/charcoal and spattered colours, otherwise it may just make large areas of single colour and tone.

This was the first result....

http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1029147/24460

{edit} This was 8" x 5" @ 72dpi [/edit]

Gallery
This was a really interesting tutorial - thanks Geoff.

Impressionist Style copy.jpg
Impressionist Style copy.jpg (234.49 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

Michelle
Michelle E

Michelle's Gallery
Scrapbook Pages
PSE5/PSE8/Windows XP
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
10 posts Page 1 of 1