Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
22 posts Page 1 of 3
Hi y'all,
Please bear with me as this is my firstest attempt at a tutorial...so here goes...
Many times I've tried to print exactly how the photo appears online without too much success. Here is one way to get around it.
Aspect ratio is the ratio pf the length versus the width of the photo. i.e,4"X6". As you can see this won't come out evenly to an 8"X10" print without some cropping of the picture. If you step back a few paces when taking the photo your main subject will be smaller to begin with but won't be cropped out in the final print. This isn't always possible(especially if you're standing on a mountain top).
What works for me is to adjust the image size in PSE. Go to image>resize>image size. The dialog box has the picture's size listed in inches. Change this to per cent. AS is it should say hight=100 per cent and width=100 per cent. Make sure the resample image box is checked.
Now change either of the sizes to 110 per cent and PSE will change the other dimension. Now hit enter and the size of the picture will increase by 10 per cent. I usually do this twice so my final width dimension will be 8".
When printing for an 8"'X10" print you'll have to crop out some of the photo because the current dimensions are 8""X 12". So crop out some of the photo's height to get the right dimensions for an 8"X10" print.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thank you so much this is an area i am easily confused. This will come in handy.
Judy,
Glad to be of assistance.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thanks for the tip, Chas. I printed it out so I can refer back to it.
Deb
PSE6/PE4/Windows XP/Firefox/Canon MP600/Canon PowerShot S3IS
Chas, thanks for the info. I printed it too and will need to work on this because I have had some prints made for my Christmas card and they cut off half of the date and they look awful. I guess I just don't understand this very well and it's crunch time for Christmas cards.....eeeekkkkk!!! Do I sound stressed??? :shock:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
Thanks Chas, These are the type of tips I need.
I may be beating a dead horse but I just can't figure this out. I thought I had until some of my photos came back. I used Walmart.com photo to print my photos this time and I thought I was doing fine. In the upload the print looks great onscreen but when I got them back the dates were cut off (partially) and made the pictures look awful. I'm going back to the photo department to find out what can be done to make sure I don't have cut off's any longer.

I will post back with what is said. I'm going to work with the photo guru there in hopes to figure this beast out. If not, then I must resize in PS more and if that is the case, I don't know what I'm doing. :cry:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Jen, I'm sure we can help get that squared away. Did you crop in advance or crop when submitting online or let them decide the crop?
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Jen, my approach is a little different from the one described buy Chas - not better, just different. Basically, my steps are:

1. Open image; perform all edits on uncropped image. Save as PSD (xxxx.psd) for future editing.
2. Set crop tool to desired print dimensions: example 4 inches by 6 inches. Leave resolution box empty.
3. Pull out crop rectangle to cover area I want to see in the print. Click on check mark to finish crop.
4. Save as JPEG with name that includes crop size (e.g., 4x6) along with original name (xxxx-4x6.jpg). This will be the one I print.

If I want to print the same image with a different set of dimensions, such as 8 inches by 10 inches, I go back to the PSD I created in step 1 and perform steps 2, 3, and 4 with the crop tool set to 8 inches, 10 inches and blank, then save the image as xxxx-8x10.jpg. For simplicity, I'll just go back and open that xxxx.psd again rather than doing an undo history to get back to the starting point.

If you process several photos, you can put them in a folder to make the transfer to walmart.com or walgreens.com easy. The fact that you've renamed the photos with a 4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 in the name should help keep things straight.

Hope that helps - holler back if I need to clarify further.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Chuck, at this point I'm not sure what I did. I'm just so frustrated with printing and how I have to change the setting on each one I'm lost. I will see when I get home what settings I used on what. I will make sure that is the case when I go into Wally world tomorrow.

I have my football print with the wording on it and I believe I have set that for an 8x10 and still words were cut off. I will check tonight and post again so please, if you can, keep an eye on this tread Chuck, I may need your help again.

Nice compliment today at the photo area in Walmart. I was standing there talking to the lady and she asked for my copyright because they were professionally done. I said, "thanks and showed her my name on the prints." She was full of compliment and that made my day and I forgot about all the trouble I was having.
Jen Clark
22 posts Page 1 of 3