Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
31 posts Page 1 of 4
I am posting this early for those not wanting to wait for the newsletter. I went back and redid it step by step so I could put more detail in. Post if you have questions.

Start with Anita's sketch steps and follow:
Open image
Cntrl J to duplicate
Contrl shift U to remove color
Cntrl J to duplicate this black and white layer
Control I or invert this layer
Change blend mode on inverted layer to color dodge. Image will turn white.
Filter>other>minimum. Anita's sketch suggests 4. This is where you have to play and imagine the lines you want in the end. I like the black outline around the subject so I use 16 or 17. Just move the slider until it looks like what you might want in the end.
Go back to the background image (first layer) with the color. duplicate this (control J).
Drag the duplicate layer to the top and reduce the opacity. Ok here is the tricky part. I have been using somewhere between 40-60% Look at your image and move the opacity slider until it is less photo and more sketch but the color is still in it.
Merge top 3 layers
Duplicate this top layer (control J)
Filter>artistic>poster edges. I have no suggested values here because it depends on the shadows and highlights. Move the sliders. Start with posterization and get the amount of dots you can live with. Then go the others and adjust them until you like the result. This isn't the final result so trust the next few steps.
OK this is the end of Anitas tutorial now switching to Christell's sketch.
Turn the top layer (the one you just did poster edges to...) to overlay blend mode.
Make a new layer. Fill with white (edit>fill layer>white) This should be your top layer.
Choose eraser dry media #63 size 600 opacity 20% (opacity is REALLY important in this part) Take your large eraser and just partially expose your subject. It should look barely visible. Go over it just once for now and leave lots of the pix white for now. We'll come back to this later. Pull texture layer onto the top of the layers pallette. Blend mode linear burn and decrease opacity 80-90% just enough to take the sharpness out of the texture layer. Now go back down to the white layer, highlight it. Click on eraser again. Go over image another time at 20% and this time catch more of your original pix. This allows different layers of erasing to show. Reduce your eraser size to around 200 and the opacity to around 10% and go back over your subject alone. Each swipe increasing the amount that shows through. Play with this blending the rest of the picture and texture. Be careful not to erase so much texture that it doesn't show at all. I go over the image a number of times. If you go over something too much remember control Z is your friend!! You can reverse the last 25 things you did !! Once you get something you think you like go back and highlight the texture layer. Go to enhance>adjust color>adjust hue/saturation. Move hue bar slowly keeping your eyes on the skin of your subject. Stop somewhere around -10 to -15 (this step is specific to using the texture suggested with this tutorial) That is it. I go back to that white layer and just kinda 'paint' to blend everything. If you do too much control Z will bring it back.
General notes:
I added kimi's grunge edge to mine and a text layer. The texture you use is really important on this technique. I pull 3 or 4 textures in, turn the eye off of all but one and look at them one by one to get the one I like. (after I have completed the entire tut with one texture then I pull others in turning eyes off and looking at them one at a time) Once I get the one I like I delete the rest by deleting their layers.

Link to the texture is here

http://masterjinn.deviantart.com/art/oct7-68751407

Dowloand this pack of textures and use the green one tulle 338 (12)
Thanks so much , i have got to try this again.
Angela,
Here is my result in following your technique:
Angela's-combined-sketch-tu.jpg
Angela's-combined-sketch-tu.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 6499 times

I also have a question in your last paragraph where you mention pulling in 3 or 4 textures. Does that mean you use another texture along with the green tulle 338 (12) or just that one? If you use more than one what blend mode do you use on the others?

Thanks for putting this together. I love your result
Christell
Christell's Creations

PhotoSHOP, PhotoSHOP till' you drop...

A photograph is a moment frozen in time...

PSE7 & PSE8.....Nikon D60, D200 & D300
Looks like another fun tut. Must resist playing and get back to work on vacation photos. Will definitely play when done. have passed the halfway point :chickendance:
I finally got a chance to play with this. I didn't use the green tulle texture. I used one of the Ghost Bones I donwloaded this summer. I will be playing around with this tut again. Thanks Angela!

Attachments

Dawn
Nice job Dawn and Christell. Christell, looks great. I do not use more than one texture. I pull a bunch in and turn off the eye then turn the eye on each one individually to see the effect. Once I have the one I like I delete the others. Thanks for trying. Did you all use filter>other > minimum? what value did you put in?
I just love this look. You all have done such wonderful pictures.
Angela, I couldn't go as high as your values on the filter>other>minium. I played with it again after I posted this one and brought the values down a little more and liked it better.
Dawn
Angela,
I used filter>other>minimum & went to about 17 what you used. The results seem to be the combination of the number used, the opacity drop on Anita's sketch & the amount of the sliders on the posturizing. I am trying to get the deep colors that you are getting on the children & their clothes. I think I might be lowering the opacity too much after making the duplicate & dragging to the top layer. I am going to keep playing with it.
Christell
Christell's Creations

PhotoSHOP, PhotoSHOP till' you drop...

A photograph is a moment frozen in time...

PSE7 & PSE8.....Nikon D60, D200 & D300
31 posts Page 1 of 4