Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
40 posts Page 1 of 4
Watercolor tutorial

Photoshop Elements 5.0

1. Open image
2. Ctrl J (dup the image)
3. Rename this layer Dry Brush
Go to Filter -> Artistic -> Dry Brush (I made my setting 2, 10, 1)
(Note: Good idea to play with other Artistic options.)
4. Ctrl J (dup) the Dry Brush layer and rename to Smart Blur
- Go to Filter -> Blur -> Smart Blur (these settings are high, but play around with them, anyway what I being using are 15.6, 51.2, low and Edge Only). This will make the layer Black with white lines.
- Crtl I to Invert to black lines on white
- From the Layer Palette, Blending Mode -> Soft Light
- Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Adjust Hue/Saturation to 0, +70, +5 (want to lighten the colors a little.)

Ok the fun part, one more layer.
5. New layer that is created using the Create Adjustment Layer (round button that is half black, half with in the layer palette) and select Solid Color and pick white as the background (rename layer to paint) .

Make sure that your Color Picker is Black for painting.

Now select your Brush, I've been using the Wet Media Brush -> Heavy Flow and Size first to around 125-150 and the Brush Opacity low around 9. Go over the this layer starting around the center and going out. The more you go over the more of a build up there will be.

. Thru out the 'painting' change the Brush Opacity (but not going over 23 or so) and brush sizes (max I have been going is 175 and low end is really low). Remember to use short strokes ...

Zoom into the paint layer and in different areas darken some of the shadows (this is were I lower the size of my brush a lot). If you darken to much, remember that by changing back to white will lighten (just remember to change back to black )

Once you are happy go to Filter -> Texture -> Texturizer ->(pick the one you like) Canvas is what I've being using and set the settings to 61, 9, top right.

Ctrl F to apply the texture again.

You may want to paint a little after the texture is apply in a few areas, this will 'soften' some of the texture.

Framing is left up to you and what you like.

Have fun!

watercolor-flower-small.jpg
watercolor-flower-small.jpg (19.91 KiB) Viewed 7459 times

Thanks,
Dane
Dane
-------------------------------------
Knight Reflections

My Flickr, not the horse
-------------------------------------
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
Thanks Dane I will try it this weekend.
Oh I'm so happy you posted that here - it is my new favorite technique! :)
In the Old Forum you could click on the Post number and print just that particular post, Is there a function such as that here? It made printing Tutorials very easy.
doug
Thanks Dane for the tut.
Look forward to more of your tutorials

John
Thank you Dane, I tried it and it was great. Do you have an example of something you did so I can compare it to mine. I am new at all of this and everything seems so magical.
Thank you
Elaine
Here is one I did - this is our beloved Charlie who as killed a few weeks ago.
9-18-07-Charlie_resize.gif
(96.03 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

And one of my kids from our cruise this past August
watercolor_resize.jpg
(66.45 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
And one more cause I just found it and think its probably the best of the ones I've tried so far:
Wildrose_resize.jpg
(78.3 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
what a wonderful way to remember Charlie. Great pictures, have not tried it yet but i will.
Oh, this is a fun one. Thanks so much, Dane! Here's my first try with it.
duckwatercolor.jpg
(76.68 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
40 posts Page 1 of 4