Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
It's probably already been done and has a tutorial on here, but I revised one that was in the PSE Group on Flickr. The original seemed a bit complex, using different files, so I made one using just layers, keeping it all in one file.

Anyway, here's a copy and paste from the one I wrote yesterday.....

This one all stays in one file, using layers to do the work.

1. Choose your background picture. Add any components you like - such as people, dogs and cats etc. It's a greetings card, after all. Flatten the file and it's nearly ready for some extras. Resize it - I suggest about 600px on wider side - when animated, this is going to be a big file, so try to think of loading times, speed of email, people on dial-up etc. Duplicate the background.

2. Add your greetings text. Some Bevels and Drop Shadows may work well and red is always seasonal. You may even have a 'snowy' font to use. The text will become a layer on top of the background. Now, a choice - you can have your text sitting clear of the falling snow in the animation or you can have it 'behind' the snow. Now's the time to choose. Personally, I like the text clear of snow. If you want it in among the snowflakes, now's the time to flatten the image. If you want it standing clear, leave the text layer where it is - simplify the layer (rt-click and "Simplify Layer") and turn off visibility.

3. With or without the text, duplicate the background.

4. Open a new, blank layer. Fill it with black (Edit - Fill Layer). Go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise. Choose about 75%, Gaussian and Monochromatic. Click OK.

5. Now go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian blur. Type in 1.5 pixels.
Click OK.

6. Change the blend mode for the layer to Screen. ( In the layers palette, click the down arrow next to where it says Normal ).

7. Still on that layer, go to Enhance > Adjust lighting > Levels.
Next to Input Levels, type in 90 – 1.00 – 120. These may not be perfect for your use, but should be close to looking like flecks of snow.

8. You should now have three or four layers, depending on whether you wanted the text in the snow or not. So let's say you kept the text for later on. That would make four layers at this stage.... background, background copy, a layer with the snow and, if you kept it, the text layer.

9. OK, now some duplication. We want two more duplicates of the background copy and two more duplicates of the snow layer. They should be arranged in pairs of snow and background.
From bottom to top, then, you should have background (original), background copy, Layer 1, background copy 2, Layer 1 copy, background copy 3, Layer 1 copy 2. (Text layer above that).

10. Each pair (background and snow) can be worked on in turn. So turn off the visibility on all but the middle pair - background copy 2 and Layer 1copy. You should see a background and some static snow.

11. Zoom out so that you can see the edges of the whole image in the editing window. Using the Move tool, select the visible snow layer and nudge it down and right a few pixels.

12. Turn off the visibility on that pair and turn on the visibility of the pair above (background copy 3 and layer 1 copy 2)

13. Repeat step 11, moving the snow layer a little further down.

14. Turn on the visibility of all layers except the main (original) background. Click on each snow layer in turn and right click to select "Merge Down". You should end up with five layers - background plus three duplicates, plus text. Drag the text layer on top of the 'background copy'. Right click on the text layer and select Merge Down. Now we're down to four layers.

15. Go to "Save for Web" and select the GIF format, click on animate and see how few colours you can get away with - without degrading the image. You may also wish to adjust the sizing control in this window - because you'll notice that the file size is pretty enormous. Save as an animated GIF and Bob's yer Auntie. (With luck).

This has more steps than PSEFrank's version but it keeps it all in one file and you're only dealing with layers. Please let me know if it works or not.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I'm not trying to be difficult, but.... do you have an example of a finished card?

Thanks for the tut. I would like to give it a try in a bit.

Courtney
Good point..... so I just uploaded it to VioVio Gallery and I keep getting "generating thumbnails" - it's quite a big, animated GIF but I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem.

Alternative location........ http://www.flickr.com/photos/8371017@N04/3084515469/sizes/o/

Geoff
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Oh, that's neat. Thanks for the cool retro hockey example. :D (Go, Flames!)

Courtney
Geoff,
Im not a sports fan by no means, but i LOVE everything about your hockey picture, especially the composition & the optional snow. :D
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
5 posts Page 1 of 1