Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
Here's a fast way to create some little animations for your website.

Start by opening all the images you'll want in your animation (I'm using three of the Graffidude images you see around the workshop).

Then create a new blank document the size you want your animation to be. Now arrange these windows on your workspace so you can see all the images. One-by-one, drag the images into the blank document. They'll automatically create their own layers.

Each layer represents a different frame of your animation:

For a simple animation, click File>Save for Web. The familiar dialog window wil pop open. For an animation, choose GIF from the drop menu, and tick ON the Animate box. Down below this area, you'll see a place where you can adjust the animation's speed and looping (repeating), and scroll through the separate frames:

The output will result in a gif animation - "anigif" - like this one -
Kinda cool, but sort of drab. It's just a series of images that pop up and don't seem to relate or interact with each other at all. What if we could make them blend a little better?

Motion blur to the rescue! First, duplicate each layer by dragging it into the New Layer icon at the top (or bottom, depending on your version of PSE) of the Layers palette.

Choose one of the duplicate layers, and apply a Motion Blur filter to it (Filters>Blur>Motion Blur). The settings I used are below:

Once you've applied the blur, choose the next copied layer and press <Ctrl> (<Cmd>) + <F> to apply the same filter with the same settings to it. Repeat this until all the duplicate layers are blurred. Arrange them as shown in my layers palette

PSE animates from the bottom of the stack to the top, so keep this in mind as you arrange your layers.

Click File>Save for Web again, and make your output settings to result in a smoother animation like the one below:

It works well on text animations, too:

Thank you so much, Graffi
Graffi.. I get the general concept. (well kinda)

here is what I would like to do.

start with a heart
then as the heart goes by... one of the letters of my name shows up. at the end, my name would show and the heart would be behind it.

so I am starting with a heart then a letter layer, repeating each.
my problem is... how do I get the heart to disappear leaving just the letter showing?
as it writes the name.

Did that make sense? :oops:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Okay - don't ever use the motion blur graffi guy as an avatar, that just seriously messes with my eyes! :D But thanks for posting such a well thought out tutorial!

Kimi - its a matter of layers, so one layer would need to not have the heart in it. Think lots and lots and lots of layers! :shock: Fortuantely your name isn't too long.... :D
so heart letter blank or white layer?
That is kinda what I was thinking.

now my other question is...
when it plays back, does it start from the top of the palette or the bottom?

gotta know what order to put my letters. :oops: :?
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
PSE animates from the bottom of the stack to the top, so keep this in mind as you arrange your layers.

kimi, this is part of Grafi's post.

This is really cool.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
AngelicKim wrote: PSE animates from the bottom of the stack to the top, so keep this in mind as you arrange your layers.

kimi, this is part of Grafi's post.

This is really cool.

Thanks Kim.

I tend to be more of a scanner than a reader. ;)
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
heh - me too. :oops:

Guess you got it working, though?
Thnak Graffi! that adds a twist to things! Really neat! :D
Graffi, can you make anything animated or is it only certain type files? I'm asking because this concept is really new to me and I want to try it.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
14 posts Page 1 of 2