Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
31 posts Page 2 of 4
I use CS3 so I had to do find different ways (to get to the places) in your steps.

Thanks for the tut - Russ

My Before Shot

My After

Like anything else, the nature of the image is going to dictate whether this "works for me". I went looking for a good 'HDR Candidate'.
DSC_6857 Before SOOC.jpg
DSC_6857 Before SOOC.jpg (122.24 KiB) Viewed 4164 times

I thought the Nine-One results looked too artificial...
DSC_6857 Nine-One.jpg
DSC_6857 Nine-One.jpg (157.78 KiB) Viewed 4164 times

So I tried blending the Nine-One with the original SOOC...
DSC_6857 Blended.jpg
DSC_6857 Blended.jpg (143.9 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

Then I tried my old stand-by: processing twice in ACR, once for the foreground and again for the lighter background and then merging the two together with a mask...
DSC_6857 Double ACR.jpg
DSC_6857 Double ACR.jpg (142.29 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

I like this technique, just gotta be careful which images I use it on.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Russ, post the steps you used in CS3 or 4. I know in CS3 I had to make a few changes and I was going to post those later in the Photoshop area, but like the image.

Rusty, from looking at Flickr, there are a lot of people that like the blown out effect, but I see you are like me in that matter...we don't (ok, I like it on cars and trucks). But I do have a couple of questions, in step 5, which style did you use and in step 6 which Blend Mode did you use?

Oh, Rusty, I like the second one better. And as you stated, as with any effect, "it will not work with all images," but I have found that it comes closer than many I have used.

Thanks everyone for trying Nine-One out.
Dane
-------------------------------------
Knight Reflections

My Flickr, not the horse
-------------------------------------
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
Russ - nice results

Rusty - nice results with both the 9-1 & acr techniques. I prefer the top half of the 2nd & the bottom half of the 4th, but then again I'm not know for being conservative -- that's what's so nice about PS --- all the options.

Dane - I'm still working out how to use the 9 1 in CS3. I made changes for the better in the first image I posted, but I'm dealing with additional noise in the 2nd image.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Russ,
What kind of image do you think will take advantage of your technique? I am now experimenting on a few snow landscape pictures taken by a friend, and many are very flat. The technique seems very good both for a creative or a 'curative' effect.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I'm off to the gym right now.

I'll write my replies when I return.
Michel, I also feel Dane's technique seems good for both curative & creative efforts. -- Also, just want to mention how helpful your information is regarding the curves simulation gradient map.
btw: could you have meant your question for Dane rather than Russ?
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
bjt wrote: Michel,
btw: could you have meant your question for Dane rather than Russ?

Yes... I meant Dane :oops:
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Russ, post the steps you used in CS3 or 4. I know in CS3 I had to make a few changes and I was going to post those later in the Photoshop area, but like the image. Dane
--------
Dane: I have an iMac machine with CS3. In case there's anyone who doesn't know, CS3 is an older version of Photoshop.

I am using Elements 6 on this, but the same hold true with 5 too.

1. open your image .............. same with CS3
2. duplicate (ctrl j) ............... Command J on a Mac
3. do your normal processing (levels, hue/sat., etc.)
4. duplicate the layer again (ctrl j) ............... Command J on a Mac
5. turn to black and white go to: Enhance -> Convert to Black and White .................. Image - Adjust - B&W

Select a Style (bottom left corner). Select either the Scenic Landscape or Vivid Landscape (whichever will produce a lighter black and white). In this case I went with the Vivid. And click ok ................ Can't do this with CS3, at least I couldn't find a way.

6. Blend Mode: Pick either Overlay or Soft Light (try any of the other if you like…) ................. Same with CS3 and Mac

Click on the bottom layer (Background) and turn it off (click on the eye). Click back on the top layer .................. Same with CS3 and Mac

7. PRESS the following keys at once. CTRL, ALT, SHIFT and E, this will combine the bottom two layers into one. Call this layer Curves ................ On a Mac with CS3: highlight the layers you want to combine and then do a Command E

8. Go to Enhance -> Adjust Color -> Adjust Color Curves ................ Image - Adjust - Curves
Move the Adjust sliders to get a gentle S like shape, Adjust as needed ................. Same with CS3 and Mac

9. CTRL J to duplicate the 'Curves' layer and call this layer Shadows/Highlights ................... Command J instead of CTRL J

10.Enhance -> Adjust Lighting -> Shadows/Highlights ................... Image - Adjust - Shadows/Highlights
Move sliders for your taste ................... Same with CS3 and Mac

And there you have it.

Optional: Replace Step 8 with Michael's writeup on "Simulating curves with a gradient map" will give you better control. Just my opinion. If you use this option, PRESS the following keys at once. CTRL, ALT, SHIFT and E, this will combine the bottom two layers into one and then go to step 9 ................... I did not try this with CS3

Duplicate the last layer again and repeat Steps 8 thru 10 and see what happens.

Go to Enhance -> Unshark Mask ................ Filter - Sharpen - Unsharp Mask (I almost always use these settings with the unsharp mask: Amount - 20; Radius - 60; Threshold - 0)
Dane, it was "scenic" and "soft light" (I did experiment with others)
Nine-One How.jpg
Nine-One How.jpg (147.77 KiB) Viewed 4098 times

Rusty

PS __ I think Betty's post in the current crop challenge illustrates an excellent use of this technique.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
31 posts Page 2 of 4