Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Kodalith Tutorial with before and after images
By Linda Jameson

1) Make a duplicate of your image and close original.
2) Command (control for pc)+ J to copy background layer.
3) Use whatever method you prefer to convert this new layer to b & w.
4) Go to enhance>lighting>levels. Move black (left hand) slider to right until as much turns solid black as you want, Then move white (right hand) slider to left until it overlaps the black slider. Layer should now be solid b&w with no grays.
5) Change layer blend mode to multiply.
6) Command +J to copy this layer.
7) With the new layer active go to filter>stylize>glowing edges. Use 4 for edge width and move the other 2 sliders all the way to right. Click ok.
8) Change layer blend mode to screen and Voila! Use eraser tool to remove glows from areas don’t want rim effect.

An alternative way to achieve rim lighting is after step 5 flatten image. Make a selection of the areas would like rim effect, and control/command+J to put selection on new layer. Under edit>stroke selection; choose a 2-4 pixel stroke in white outside. Can then use eraser to remove stroke from areas don’t want. Or after flattening put a new layer below and fill with white. With the kodalith layer active use the selection brush size 1-2 pixels(zoom in) to trace where want a rim effect then press delete and deslect, Recommend doig short lines at a time.This is harsher and works better on buildings.

Kodalith is a high contrast black and white positive film. This creative effect used to be made by making a contact image of a color slide onto the film in the chemical darkroom and then sandwiching the two slightly off register to achieve a rim light (bas relief). It has the most effect on colors in the red/green spectrum. Any light areas go completely black.

I'm going to try to insert before and after examples:
B4&Afy_Kodalith_Flower.jpg
(91.7 KiB) Downloaded 385 times

Attachments

A wonderful tutorial, thanks! :)

I've got a few photos that just scream for an effect like that... :mrgreen:
PSE 8.0 - PS CS4 - IrfanView - PhotoFiltre - The GIMP
Hi Linda,

Thanks for posting this, looks very interesting. I didn't want to clutter the tutorial up with a bunch of "I don't understand" dumb questions but..... :(

I posted my effort over in the Before & After section - sure doesn't look like what I was expecting. :|

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
3 posts Page 1 of 1