Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Orton only got one post of interest last week. Here's another attempt to spur some interest in trying new things.

Did you know you could the Pattern Stamp Tool to create an unfinished sketch? (Did you even know there was such a thing as this tool?)

The procedure is pretty simple. Take your image and convert it to a sketch, watercolor, oil painting, impressionist painting, whatever floats your boat. After all your PSE adjustments flatten the image. Now: Select All, Edit > Define pattern from selection > OK

Now get the tool:
Tool Selection.jpg
Tool Selection.jpg (119.38 KiB) Viewed 6342 times

1 - The Pattern Stamp is nested with the Clone Stamp. Right-click and you get the drop-down to select it.

2- Click the "pattern icon" and scroll down. The pattern you just defined will be the very last one. Click it.

3- Now go over to the brush side of the tool bar and find the Splatter Brush. The largest available is 59px, select it and then use the slider to increase the size -- how big is going to depend on the resolution of your image. You'll see I'm up over 400 in this instance (a 300 ppi image). You should set the opacity of your brush around 70% so you can fade in the edges of your sketch.

To create your "unfinished sketch" set up your layers. Add a blank layer above your BG layer and fill it with white -- this is your canvas. Add a blank layer above that and leave it transparent -- this will be where you work with the Pattern Stamp Tool. Get on that layer and start clicking away. Your Layers should look like this:
Sketch Work.jpg
Sketch Work.jpg (120.72 KiB) Viewed 6342 times

This is what I started with and where I ended up:
Original SOOC.jpg
Original SOOC.jpg (132.93 KiB) Viewed 6342 times

Sketch in Progress.jpg
Sketch in Progress.jpg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 6342 times

Give it a try and have some fun.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Here's one I did of a wall mural I saw last weekend.

Define the image as a pattern. Convert the mural portion of the image to a B&W line drawing. Now it looks like the artist has outlined what he wants the mural to look like in preparation to paint. Now use the Pattern Stamp Tool to start filling in color as if the mural was being painted.
DSC_0873_Mural.jpg
DSC_0873_Mural.jpg (122.08 KiB) Viewed 6341 times

Rusty

Rusty i can not wait to try it. It may not be until the weekend but i post my results.
Rusty, thanks for the tip.

I will give it a try this afternoon.

Russ

PS: I love your tips and learning new things.
I remember this one and I need to try it again. I have it somewhere in my book of tutorials but will just follow along what you have and see what I can come up with.
Tina B

Not many active members here anymore. Where have they all gone?
I can not wait til Sunday to try this. Tina i hope it picks up soon. I really enjoy my friends here.
Now this was fun.
after-rose-clone-pat.jpg
after-rose-clone-pat.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 6304 times

before-rose-clone-pat.jpg
before-rose-clone-pat.jpg (46.43 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Nice job, Judy.
It is fun, isn't it? There are a lot of possibilities with that tool.

Rusty

Rusty, I adore the pattern stamp! And now you've shown me a new way to use it (I never thought of doing a sketch). Thanks! :thumbsup:
9 posts Page 1 of 1