Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
FACE OF MANY COLORS TECHNIQUE
By Christell

This was inspired by seeing this tutorial but done a little different:
http://10steps.sg/tutorials/photoshop/c ... wallpaper/

And used 2 watercolor drips from this download from the above link:
http://mediamilitia.com/sample-image-pa ... ee-images/

Open photo.
Right-click on background layer and choose Layer from Background to unlock layer.

Go to Filter < Adjustments < Threshold and adjust slider to how you like it.
Step 1 Example below:

Take the Magic Wand or click on Eraser Tool and choose the Magic Eraser Tool and click on all the white to remove from background. You will be left with only the black. The black areas around the subject that are left can be removed with any selection tool or erased.
Step 2 Example below:
step 1 and 2.jpg
step 1 and 2.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 17107 times

I like to use a 12 x 12 canvas size but you can use any size you like.

File<New<Blank file
Set your size:
12 in.
12 in.
300 dpi
White background

Click back on the black threshold subject and drag it onto the 12x12 canvas.
Drag the corners out until it is sized and placed where you want it to be.
Find a texture for the background and drag to the canvas.
Put it above the white background layer.
Example below:

CTRL-click on the Threshold layer which will give the Marching Ants around the black.
Click on the Brush tool. In the Brush Menu click on small arrow on right and choose LOAD BRUSHES.
If you don’t have any Paint or Splatter brushes you will need to download some now.
If you do have some, choose the one you want to try out.
Change the foreground color picker to any color you want to start with.
Use 2 to 4 colors in this area and change the brush sizes as you go.
Start randomly painting the threshold area. With the marching ants the paint will stay inside the area taking on the shape.
Example below:
Ustep 3 and 4.jpg
Ustep 3 and 4.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 17107 times

Open the 2 Watercolor drip papers downloaded and drag both on canvas below the threshold layer. Place where you want them to be and use the Multiply blend mode on each one. This will get rid of the white background.
Create a New blank layer above the texture. You can either use this one layer for all the colors or create a new layer for each color.
Here is where you can go crazy and get messy in your creation. Choose different brushes, sizes and colors and randomly start painting where you want. Undo if you don’t like the paint splatter or drip and try another one.
Change the Blend mode on your paint layers to Multiply also if you want to.
A text layer can be added if you want one.. I moved mine right above the texture.
Finished example below:
step 5 reduced.jpg
step 5 reduced.jpg (88.82 KiB) Viewed 17107 times
Christell's Creations

PhotoSHOP, PhotoSHOP till' you drop...

A photograph is a moment frozen in time...

PSE7 & PSE8.....Nikon D60, D200 & D300
Looks interesting. May just have to give it a try.

Bob
Christell thanks for the links i am looking forward to trying this and hope it turns out as well as yours did.
This is a fun technique. I played a bit but, as usual, got sidetracked into fantasy.
:D

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Here i another one I did.
thoughtful  painted techniquel.jpg
thoughtful painted techniquel.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 17059 times
Christell's Creations

Christell that was so nice of you to write how you did this. i will have to give it a try.
I am partway through the tutorial, up to the step when I use the 2 downloaded paint drip papers, but neither of the links in the original post works for me. I get page not found errors when I click on them. I will try to make some of my own papers, unless somebody has some other links to suggest? (I am lazy and really don't want to make my own.)

Courtney
Hi Courtney, I will check the links out and see what's the problem. You don't have to use them. I thought it just added to the background paint drips. Just download any paint splatter or drips, use any color and start painting them on randomly. Most likely you have some in your brush stash. On this one I didn't use the download drips. Now I can't wait to see your son painted.

EDIT: just fixed the links.
Chriistell
Christell's Creations

Christell,

Thanks for the updates.

Well, it took me long enough (I kept having to put it aside and then get back to it a day or more later), but I finally have a picture of Chris using this technique. He was decorating a Christmas tree cake, and since I know that, the picture isn't a mystery to me. But maybe I shouldn't have included much other than his face. But I like how it turned out.

Courtney

Attachments

I've seen this during long time and practicing some.. Very great fun.. :woohoo:
11 posts Page 1 of 2