Post your tutorials here. Do not post any copyrighted material unless you hold the copy rights.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
I have CS3 and I have been trying to figure it out - failed with every attempt.

What I'm trying to do is in the photo below (if the dark gray border wasn't there).

I hope my question was worded so you can understand what I want to do.

Thanks in advance - Russ

Russ, have a look at the following thread:
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel: Thanks for the tip.

I will check it out right now.
I must be doing something wrong because I can't get it to work.

Maybe I'm just tired and need to try again in the morning?

Should work, I would suggest the following

1. Crop image to the size of paper you want to print on - maybe add a bit to allow for the rounded corners. Crop tool stadard size - I used 4x6 at 300 ppi for this example

2. Next, press U on the keyboard to activate the Shapes Tool - selected the Rounded Rectangle Tool (second on the list)
shape tool.jpg
shape tool.jpg (12.84 KiB) Viewed 4955 times

3. Drag out the shape rectangle - start in a corner (upper left works for me) and drag down and right (for an upper/left start) and draw out the shape. You should have nicely rounded corners. If not, delete the shape layer, and set the Radius setting (on the tool bar) higher - it will depend on your picture resolution.

radius.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 4955 times

4. Double click the Background layer to convert it into a normal layer.

5. Drag the shape layer below the old background layer - should be layer 0 - so that the image is above the shape layer.

6. Right click on image layer - select "create clipping mask". Layer stack should look like this when done.

layer stack.jpg
layer stack.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 4955 times

After you are done, you can use the Move tool to position the shape as you want, or need to. If you want a soft edge, use Filter, Blur, Gaussian Blur on the shape layer (CS3 will rasterize the layer and then blur it.

That's it.
Thanks John.

I'm off to give it a try.

I'll let you know what happens in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I was gone all day yesterday so I haven't had time to try your suggestions. I have to leave again, but I will be back in 3 hours and give it a try.

Thanks again - Russ

John, I tried and failed. I'm sure I did something wrong. I'll try again when I get home from the dentist.
Russ in pse 4 when i choose the rounded rectangel tool . I can then click the little down arrow next the the shapes box and type in what i want. Hope this helps it might work the same.
rounded.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
I have tried each and every tip and none of them work for me.

I know it's something I'm doing wrong, but what?

I will keep trying.

Thanks to everyone for the help - Russ
I tried and tried but failed with every try. So I returned to that old Elements site and asked Windy for help.

In my humble opinion, Windy knows (almost) everything there is to know about Photoshop.

In case any of you want to know how it's done (Windy's way) below are the steps.
Rounded Corners - How to Make with CS3 and Mac Computers

Make your background the size and way you want it.

Insert picture on that background and resize if needed

Open tool - in this case the rounded rectangle tool

Click on the path icon - top left of CS3 window

Use tool to make size and shape wanted.

Change from layers palette to paths palette - right side of CS3 window

Make sure the layer wanted is highlighted

Use the shortcut - command return - Makes "Marching Ants"

Select - Inverse

Edit - Clear

Use the shortcut - command D - Deletes ants

Return to layers palette

Resize, move and drop shadows, etc
12 posts Page 1 of 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests