Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
12 posts Page 1 of 2
I am afraid I have a problem with my EHD. It got really hot the other day. I don't remember if I have had it on since. Today when I plugged it in to use it, the light on it turned on, but something kept clicking as I imagine my CPU was trying to find it. When I looked in Explore, it would not find the EHD. I had one other time a month or so ago when the CPU did not find the EHD. There were no noises when I started the computer that time though. Is there any possibility that this EHD can be salvaged? I have tried to make sure the connections are tight, put the USB in a different port, switched the electric cord to different outlet, but still nothing.

I think I have everything backed up except the October and November Premier, which I will be able to get the November Premier, but the October is just gone unless I just did not label it when I backed up to DVD last month. All the pictures I downloaded from my camera card are gone, but I did not clean my card, thank goodness.

Thanks for your help.

Sue
PSE 5, XP, Western Digital EHD
Sue,

Just had the same thing happen to me. Except mine didn't get hot it just came up with the black screen and then was unrecognized by my computer. Drive was dead. My problem is I didn't have a full back up and lost tons of photos. Many here will attest to my sob story........BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.....you seem to have done that. Kudos to you, wish I had been that smart. I am now!!!

I lost a Western Digital also and just got online at WD and put in my serial number and went thru the small steps to have them replace it.

Don't even think about recovery unless you have about $2000.00+ to pay for that. My quotes were over $2700 because it's a long and tedious recovery process. My wallet is shallow so I'm out on this one.

Best thing I can say is to check the drive on another computer to see if it is seen and then maybe check with a computer person who can look at it and tell you the final on if it's dead or alive.

Sorry to hear about this but Western Digital has been a breeze to deal with and is rated one of the top EHD models along with Seagate so we just had falty equipment..........they are not made to last a very long time I guess. Good luck and I hope this helped you in some way.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Mine was less than a year old. I got it after Christmas last year. I am not even sure what the warranty is on it. What will Western Digital do? BTW, my pockets are shallow, too.

Rather than another EHD, I was wondering about backing up on line. Wags had me an invite to one service, but things around my house have been crazy for quite a while now, and I did not get around to it. Would backing up on line and on DVD be better than risking another EHD?

Sue
Sue,

Your warranty is 1 year so go to WD and request a replacement.........very easy. Here is the link to check your serial number and it will give you the warranty dates.

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/seri ... ty&lang=en

by all means look into online storage Jane sent one to me also. At this moment I don't have much to I'm still working on some recovery of what I had downloaded. But, I'm looking into it also. I plan on having a 1TB EHD to use as only backup of my other 2 EHD and then burn DVD's and use online storage. Overkill YES but I'm not going to loste a D#@* thing.........if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Keep me posted.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Sorry left some out........

As for backup yes burn to DVD and using an EHD is fine. Any drive can fail so I figued the odd of having 3 drives fail at the same time is very low. I had an internal HD go some time back so one would think I'm well versed on this matter but NOT...........what a moron I am. Anyway, what I recommed you do is get the replacement from WD and use it like you had before. Burn DVD's after you have new things on the drive and then either do another EHD for just backup or look into the online storage........Hope that make sense.
Jen Clark
I have just downloaded the diagnostic test. My EHD does not show up on the list of drives available to check. Not sure if I should check my C drive. What do they care about that?

I forgot to say that I did try the EHD on another computer and it did not even light up.

Sue
Doesn't sound promising since the second computer didn't see it. I would call WD to talk about the replacement or put in your serial number in the replace section to have them ship out another one to you. I don't think it's your C drive if that is working then it would be back to the EHD.
Jen Clark
Now you have me worried. I have all my photos backed up to an EHD only. Do you leave you EHD on all the time or not. I only turn mine on when I need it which sometimes is less than once a week. Maybe I should put all on dvd's also but I hear they don't last forever either. What is a good on-line storage place? are they very expensive??
Thanks for reminding me about the warranty. I never even thought about that. I did call WD and they told me if it is clicking, it is dead, no doubt about it. They gave me my RMA number and will send me instructions via e-mail for sending it back and then they will replace it with 5 to 7 business days after they get.

I do keep my EHD on a lot. Maybe I shouldn't. I had a problem last month with my computer finding the EHD, so when it found it again, I did a back up to DVD for fear something was happening to the EHD. I did not have another problem until the other day when it ran hot and that scared me. It has been off for several days now, and then when I tried it again this morning it is gone. If I have lost data, it is not much, thank goodness. I will still continue to do DVD back ups, too. Anything can fail. I keep all my pictures, my scrapbooking files, and my data files on the EHD and try not to keep too much on the computer hard drive.

Thanks for all your help.

Sue
PSE 5, XP, WD EHD
Yes to answer the question no leaving the EHD on all the time. I use my daily. Maybe I shoudn't but stupid me only go a 60 gb hd on my pc and there just isn't enought room to run anything so I have my EHD. THere isn't even a slot inside the pc for another HD.

I have 2 primary EHD photos/plugins on one and movie/music on other. I will have a 3rd 1TB to back both of those up. Yes, then run DVD copies of photos and the online option.

Glad you are able to get the replacement, they ship it really quickly and absolutely no questions asked. I will continue to deal with them.
Jen Clark
12 posts Page 1 of 2